Skip to main content

NEW POST

Exploring Katong: From Iconic Laksa to Vintage Finds (BONUS! POP Bakery)

Date of Visit: 19 September 2026 A weekend date with your partner doesn’t always require an expensive meals, an overpriced plane ticket or an elaborate itinerary. Sometimes, the best trips are right in our own backyard that blends in rich local flavors, a walk down memory lane, and a relaxed afternoon exploring historic neighborhoods. If you're looking for a perfect day trip in Singapore, here is how we spent a meaningful weekend re-exploring the charm, nostalgia, and hidden gems of Katong and Marine Parade. My hubby will be the storyteller for the day. Nostalgic Detour: Roxy Square Address: 50 East Coast Rd Singapore 428769 Nearest MRT: Marine Parade (TEL) We kicked off our day with Roxy Square . Built on the historic site of the old Roxy Theatre, this spot retains a quiet retro charm. Wandering through its classic tailor shops, traditional beauty salons, and quiet music nooks felt like stepping into another era; a true hidden gem for anyone who appreciates the quieter side of her...

Price Sensitive

So the canteen at my workplace has  a not very dramatic change.

But the food price increased by 10cts to probably up to 50cts since Monday 2 June 2014, if I'm not wrong. Not a lot but being a miser, I feel the pinch. Pardon me for that.

Ban Mian
A decent bowl of Ban Mian. 
Usual price: $2.20  
Now: $2.50  
Difference: $0.30

Still cheaper than outside though. In this bowl, I added extra vegetables so 50cts more. 

Beehoon w 1 side
A decent plate of beehoon with 1 side (hashbrown).
Usual price: $0.85
Now: $1.10
Difference: $0.25
Portion is still generous. Taste still remains.


I wonder how much for this plate of Mixed Rice & Vegetables from the Indian stall. But then the pricing is the same across the board if price increase. 

Quite sad. Though you may think this is nothing compare to those outside food court/hawker centre. But then to me, it has been removed from my list of cheapest food place.

Okay lah. I shall stop whining over this. So absurd right? K I shut!

Add: Okay lah... I heard that they haven't been increasing the price at the canteens across the campus for 7 years. That's long. Really better than outside where they anyhow increase price as they like. So I shall stop whining over it. GET OVER IT STELLA!

Popular Posts