Local Travel | Bugis/City Hall


(Travelled on 8 Nov 2021)

I started my trip down to Bugis in the morning. It took me 1.5 hours to briefly walkthrough the place. Then headed to City Hall since that is where I have to change train to travel back home. Drizzling day but thank god it wasn't a heavy rain that would definitely dampen my day and spirit to explore the place where I haven't been to for awhile already. Not sure how much it has changed.



So I walked through Bugis Street, a sheltered shopping and food place that gave me a Taiwanese nightmarket feel. Something like Huaxi Nightmarket in Taipei but of course the latter is more spacious than Bugis Street. This is how much I miss Taiwan.


When you walked all the way to the end of Bugis Street, you would see Albert Centre which consists of food centre and market. Of course since I'm here, shall settle my meal as well.



$1.80 each and I had two of them. Now I understood why having food while it was hot taste alot better. I usually don't care that much. Anyway after these 2 popiahs, I shall go home run and burn them. Oh it was good or maybe too long never had popiahs. The skins were thin and fillings were crunchy.


Was walking towards Waterloo and saw this hotel called South East Asia Hotel. Rather old and I wonder if they are still operating as it was rather run-down. Very familiar to me and only I know.


The famous 四马路观音庙 Kwan Im Thong Hood Cho Temple closed till 21 November 2021. So worshippers just stood outside and prayed. Like i said, since there already I also prayed for whole family health and all. Lucky my menses not yet come, if not I can't pray because Chinese believe this is 'dirty' so must wait till you are 'cleared' then pray. Heng ah.

Location: 178 Waterloo Street


Just beside 四马路观音庙 was an Indian temple Sri Krishnan Temple which was one of the oldest temple in Singapore and in 2014, it was gazetted as National Monument of Singapore. There is this cross-worshipping for worshippers of either 四马路观音庙 and Sri Krishnan Temple. So don't be surprised. Singapore is a multi-racial and cultural country.

There were many vegetarian stalls along the way so go explore if you are one. It served the purpose for worshippers I think and also alot of fortune tellers setting up stalls for people who want to know the divination and so on. And street stalls that sells fruits, clothes, shoes and so on.


Saw these Huat Huat Vending Machines outside Fu Lu Shou building and I'm curious what will you get when you insert money in. Never try but if you ever do it, let me know in the comment section. Heng Ong Huat ah!


Also spotted Stamford Arts Centre right opposite Fortune Centre. Never went in to see so not sure if there were any activities going on.


I walked towards Queens Street and spotted this old overhead bridge that linked between Fu Lu Shou and the construction site right opposite. The North South Corridor site. Nowadays you seldom see such old overhead bridge. Take a picture for memory, just in case it gets removed.


The rainbow coloured building was Sim Lim Tower and right across in blue was Hotel 81. I couldn't help but wanting to snap a pic of that spiral stairs because only old buildings will have.



I called these 3 buildings the skyscrapers of Bugis though there were taller one than them in Singapore but then again, they are for Bugis.


So I walked to another side of Bugis for Liang Seah Street and see what eateries they have there now.



Lots of memories here because I worked at Bugis Junction as retail staff when I was in my early 20s and used to hang out at the coffeeshop here for roti pratas after work, or cafes (I remember one called Can Cafe) at Liang Seah Street, and even had a bite already and took cab down to club. Those were the days.


Now Liang Seah Street has more Chinese restaurants and the grill bar that I loved to go is still around now (read my previous post of Taan here). Tan Quee Lan Street is just on the other side and been there for Ah Loy Thai with my girlfriends during Christmas many years back. Read the post here.

So I walked on to complete my mission for a takeout of Pork Chop Rice at Supreme Pork Chop Rice for Mister's dinner. Opened by a Taiwanese so must support no matter what.

Location: 67 Beach Road, Basement #B1-01




Verdict: $4.50 for Pork Chop Rice Set. Mister said the pork chop has the sweet, savoury and peppery taste. It was like coated with a layer of biscuits to fry. The old school way of making pork chops. I remember because my mum used to do that. He also described it as something similar to Scissors Cut Curry Rice type of pork chop. But the rice with Suan Cai and mixed vegetables gave that mediocre taste.

Since I'm right at the direction towards City Hall station, so just walked down and saved 1 station fare. I passed by Purvis Street so decided to check it out the shophouses. When was the last time I came man?




The following facade wall looked kind of Instagrammable so do check it out right outside of a restaurant called British Hainan

23 Purvis Street #01-01



Then I walked to Seah Street and found a cafe (I think) called Seriously Keto. OMG I wanna chill out here. Gosh... okay I shall find one day to come. KETO BUDDIES! Here is for you.

Location: 32 Seah Street


Last but not least, passing by Raffles Hotel before reaching the destination, City Hall Station. Colonial-style hotel with a history dated back in 1800s. If you watch 'Somebody feed Phil' on Netflix, the host and his crew came here for the Singapore Sling. Yes this is where Singapore Sling was created. 



And we come to the end of my local adventure. Hope you enjoy the tour and stay tune to my next local destination. Cheers.