Local Travel | Emerald Hill Road


(Travelled on 16 Oct 2021)

Headed down to Somerset to get some stuff done and decided not to waste the trip just on that despite the seriously hot weather. So I walked across from Orchard Gateway to Peranakan Place and down into the alley of Emerald Hill Road. I saw on foot those nice houses from the outside few weekends back when I was hanging out with friends in town. And I knew I have a thing to do: visit this place, take good pictures and send them to my dad.

Last time, the wealthy Peranakan families used to stay in Emerald Hill (maybe now still have their presence, not sure). The kind of colourful houses they left behind made Emerald Hill more than just a wealthy neighbourhood but also the Peranakan culture that many generations down the road would be able to immerse in.



My dad and I have a thing for such houses and also colonial houses. They simply looked difference from typical shophouses and even landed properties, although their property value might be about the same plus minus. Each house has its own distinctive features that made them unique. And also building each house on a slope might take some planning to do so in order to synchronize them without looking all weird from the outside.


One way road (up slope) so watch out for vehicles while you admire these beautiful houses. There were people living in there and some of them waiting to be rent out. Such a quiet and tranquil neighbourhood. Who doesn't want to stay, right?


Former Singapore Chinese Girl's School. Maintained quite well from the exterior. No entry though so just admire from outside. This school has a history that went all the way back in 1899. 


Three-storey houses on this stretch down from Singapore Chinese Girl's School. I'm very curious of the interior of each house. Imagine them being Peranakan style like the museum we visited in Penang. 



I liked this house here (the white one). It has this European feel or should I say that it has a little of Greece feel? Or Santorini feel? Or is it I miss travelling so much that I imagine myself in Greece?



This blue painted house caught my attention from far and I couldn't let myself not to take look at it. Very nice. Like the ones at Joo Chiat or Katong that side. Very colourful and attention seeking.

Let me take you through some nice door front I saw along the way. And those mosaic tiles too.





So now you know Orchard is not just a shopping paradise but you can also find some heritage houses like the ones at this stretch of Emerald Hill Road. Don't waste money go shopping. Go walk around and explore your own country like I do. No need money and also away from crowd.

My dad is jealous now that I went without them after sending all these pictures to him. There is always a next time and I cannot wait already to see more.

More travelling in my country before overseas travel begin! See ya in my next post. Enjoy!