Christmas Homemade Decor | DIY Series 2021


I wanna create interesting contents for my humble blog so that it won't be just another food blog but a lifestyle blog too as I wanna it to be. As Christmas is nearing, I wanna do something for my home decor without spending too much on materials. Making use of what I can find at home to make my own decor for Christmas. Save the environment by making your own.

Anyone can guess how all these ideas come about? When I hit the sack. Lying on the bed, thinking and suddenly ideas pop out with the things I see at home the entire day. Funny right? Why not any other time of the day but when I'm about to sleep?

Let us see what I can make for 2021 Christmas Home Decor with my less creative mind and kiddo works. Probably the lamest!

1. SANTA/POOH BEAR IN THE JAR

Santa's Material:
  • 300g Clear Quartz loose stones
  • Unwanted small jar
  • Christmas cake topper
  • Ornaments


The ornaments you saw on the photo initially has Amethyst stones on it. But I pulled them all out to make this up. Certainly better than just displaying them on its own. I wonder if I should put some fairy lights in it. So that when it lighted up at night, it would look so beautiful.

Pooh Bear's Material:
  • 300g of Mixed loose stones (clear quartz, citrine, tourmaline)
  • Christmas cake topper
  • Winnie the Pooh tiny toys
  • Unwanted jar



Very simple and need no method.

I remember getting those Winne the Pooh toys from capsule machine and it came as those which you could hang on your phone or bag. So I chose those Christmas theme ones like Santa Pooh, Logcake Pooh, Christmas Wreath Pooh and so on. Then cut off the string from them to have them placed in the jar. I couldn't decided which colour of cake topper to put but green looked better. What do you think?

2. CHRISTMAS SHAKER


Material:
  • 4 Cake Topper/Deco
  • 1 Bubble Tea Plastic Cup, washed 
  • 1 Cake Board Base, draw the round shape according to the cup opening
  • 1 small styrofoam board
  • Double sided tape
  • Super Glue
  • Grater, for the styrofoam to make into snow

Method:
  1. Cut the round base (as seen in the pic, gold in colour) according to the shape of bubble tea cup.
  2. Paste the cake toppers/decos with double sided tape and paste on the gold round base.
  3. Write your greetings on the base.
  4. Grate the styrofoam board to small pieces to act as snow. Gather them inthe bubble tea cup.
  5. Drip the glue along the opening of the bubble tea cup and paste the base with toppers on it.
  6. Leave it to dry before turning it over.


Instead of doing a snow globe, I did something almost similar but without liquid in it. Mister said my 1st cup shaker was simply too stingy with the fake snow. Then I did the 2nd one and this time he suggested that I used a grater to make the snow. That was really a good idea. Maybe I should re-do the 1st cup. Oh by the way, cutting out the base from a cake board was seriously hard, real hard.

3) CHRISTMAS BELL


Material:
  • 1 Bubble Tea Cup, washed
  • Unwanted Velcro tape
  • Unwanted Star hanging ornament
  • Unwanted Bell
  • Christmas stickers
  • Red ribbon

Method:
  1. Tape the entire cup with velcro.
  2. Cut an opening on top of the cup for the star.
  3. Tie the bell to the star from within the cup to stablize the star.
  4. Paste the stickers on the cup to act as the ornaments.
  5. Use the red ribbon to cover the gaps. Tie a knot at the back.

Why I used velcro? Because it was dumped aside for very long with no meaning to it plus it was white in colour. A white Christmas bell. Now I wonder how to go about closing the gaps inbetween the velcro so that it look nicer and less focus on the imperfection. And I suggest you use blutack, paste on the stickers and stick to the cup. If not it will fly away unknowingly.

Another suggestion will be doing a base for the cup, like what I did for the Cup Shaker above. What do you think?

Any difference when I put a ribbon around?


My final design for the bell. What do you think now?


4) CHRISTMAS HANGING HOLDER


Material:
  • 1 bubble tea cup, washed and dried
  • Red ribbon
  • Double sided tape
  • Red string
  • Christmas stickers for cup deco
Totally didn't know such ideas could pop out when I'm in daze. Instead of a plain bubble tea cup, I wrapped the middle of the cup with ribbons to cover the bubble tea brand logo and name. Paste the stickers on top for the sake of Christmasy mood. Tried poking a hole on the side to make into a hanging cup but got poked on my finger and bleed. So I turned to using double sided tape to paste the string, hopefully it holds well (I doubt so). Now you can hang some fake flowers, cutlery and so on. 

5) CHRISTMAS TABLE STANDEE



Material:
  • Cake box board
  • Glue
  • Printout of cartoon images
  • Scissor
Print the images that you want in colour, cut them out and paste them on both side of the cake board. Use balanced board to make the stand behind. The cutting out part really is a little tedious. But still, I manage to do out the table standees. Must look for more images because it is too cute.

And if you are afraid that it will topple down, put some weight behind to secure it. Or even paste a blu-tack. 

Image Credit: Cute Cheerful Snowman and Cute Deer with Christmas Wreath from Freepik.com and Santa Claus from vk.com

6) COASTER


Material:
  • 4 Cup Sleeves (yield 1 coaster)
Few years back I saw a video on Instagram using cup sleeves to do a coaster. Environmentally friendly when you use of the available resources to make something useful out of it. Usually humans will throw away the drink cup and who bother right? Use the coasters at home when you receive 2 guests to your house (comply with current regulations).

Step 1: Position 3 cup sleeves as shown in the picture.


Step 2: Slot the last cup sleeve to the outside of the positioned cup sleeve in the picture.


Step 3: Slot the other side the last cup sleeve into another positioned cup sleeve in the picture.


There you have it. A recycled coaster using cup sleeves ready to be used this festive season and onwards. I feel so eco-friendly now. 

But the downside of this coaster would be if your cups aren't solid type, it might topple for drink cans or plastic cups when they are empty. So only advisable for use if it is a solid cup.


Gifted my handmade coaster to a colleague and she utilized it for her food. Not a bad idea. No need to be just for drinks but your dishes or takeouts too.


This post will continue to be updated when ideas pop out. Stay tune!