Saving Hacks in an Expensive Country | Lifestyle

Our country is known as a 'fine' and expensive city. With the announcement of GST increasing to 8% on 1 Jan 2023 and 9% on 1 Jan 2024 in this year Budget 2022, do you feel the pain bo after enjoying that 7% for so long and now going up 1%, and up to 2%? Haiz... and everything from grocery items, food and even transport are rising even before the new GST kicks in. This stupid pandemic and the unwanted war going on really hit the world so bad. Read here on hawkers raising price to survive. So we should be saving up to survive, right?

Being a stingy person on selective things, I keep finding ways to save as much as I can. For my personal wants like bringing my folks to travel and also buying the stuff I like and for my family too. Who doesn't have such wants, right? 不要骗我. 我不是小孩子. Different people have different perspectives on their wants and needs. So don't judge too!

Now just share some of my ways to save money, even a few cents also help. Think about it when you accumulate the amount over time. If I can go the extreme to save, I will but I have a husband who will be so upset when I scrimp on what he thinks necessary (food especially but I think otherwise). But at times, he okay with scrimping on some stuff after much reasoning out with him.

1. PRICE BEAT AT DAISO BEFORE 1 MAY 2022

Bye Bye to $2 Daiso.

From 1 May 2022, Daiso will no longer be a $2 shop and will impose a 7% GST to all the prices. So sad, right? Not sure if they will increase again when 8% GST kicks in 1 Jan 2023 but just feel the pain even if it is cents increase. Imagine you accumulate the increment ($2.14 after GST) of 14 cents for a year, how much extra will you be paying already?

Conclusion: let us be more thrifty this second now if you haven't. Don't hao lian that it won't affect you much since just cents increase. Those who don't earn much will feel the pain. Every cent counts.

ICYMI: I wrote a post on 7 items I found worth buying at Daiso. Read here.

Being a typical Singaporean, usually be doing the last minute shopping and by the time I went (to Chinatown Point outlet on 25 Apr during lunch), some empty racks not restock yet though I did see their staff working tirelessly to do restock (I saw big boxes at some aisles). Buy only if you need or use frequently.

A. Soup Stock Bags / Tea Filter Bags

Already featured in my Daiso post above (see ICYMI) so is a must-buy for me in order to boil clear soup without having to filter after it is done, with the help of these bags. You can either throw away swiftly or give the ingredients a 2nd life (like anchovies, fry it and have it as a side for your meal). Also tea filter bags where I will fill up with tea leaves gifted to me and brew it when I work from home or whenever I like. I find it cost effective doing this way (for the tea). What about you?

Soup Stock Bags: 45 pcs/pack
Tea Filter Bags: 100 pcs/pack
Before 1st May: $2 x 7 items = $14
After 1st May: (If $2.14) x 7 items = $14.98
Save $0.98!

B. Ladies Only Detergent

These 3 bottles (80ml each) were bought a month earlier before Daiso announced the 7% GST on their items. And it was out of stock when I went on 25 Apr. Thank God I grabbed more that time. This is very useful when we ladies stained our undergarments during your menses week. And you also wash them everyday, right? Don't tell me you don't! *yucky* It was featured in my Daiso post too.

Before 1st May: $2 x 3 bottles = $6
After 1st May: (If $2.14) x 3 bottles = $6.42
Save $0.42!

C.  GIFT TAGS

Now I regretted not buying more because this is worth it for 54 pieces of different shapes and designs. It can last me for 2 to 3 Christmas actually but at times, I tried to write the greetings and names on the wrappers with marker instead. If you want to present your family and friends with presentable gifts, this helps even though not environmentally friendly.

Before 1st May: $2
After 1st May: (If $2.14)
Save $0.14!

Sidetrack: You can also DIY your own Christmas decorations with the resources available at home. ICYMI, read my Christmas DIY post here.

2. SAVE ON PUBLIC TRANSPORT FEE


Since 26 Dec 2021 when the public transport fee increased again, I alight one station ahead of the usual. Because the price is the same as I alight at the usual station before the latest increase.

The Pros:
  • Save a few cents is better than nothing;
  • Shorter bus rides, get home faster;
  • Rebates between bus and train journey (not for bus-bus or train-train, trial and tested);
  • Probably an evening walk to bus-stops if a little further away from train station;
  • Lessen malls visits to save money.
Usual Train stop B: $1.88 (Longer bus ride home 7 bus stops)
New Train stop A: $1.84 (Shorter bus ride home 4 bus stops)
Save ($0.04 x 5 days) × 4 wks = $0.80

Usual Bus stop B: $0.12 (after rebate, depends on stops)
New Bus stop A: $0.07 (after rebate)
Save ($0.05 × 5 days) × 4 wks = $1.00

Total saving a month: $1.80 (this is only for home to work and back, not including meet up with friends after work).

Sidetrack again: Have you read about my views on bus commuters? If you haven't, read here. 真的很讨厌.

Update as of 20 June 2022: I realized that if to and fro by bus for example, within 30 mins from your first tap out, you get rebates too. Please try it to confirm. 

3. POCKET-FRIENDLY DINNER

So I shall settle husband's dinner at Khatib Foodshop located at the station itself. My bro mentioned to me before about these foodshops located at MRT stations which he would buy and bring for lunch at work. The places we work at ain't that cheap when it comes to food. Read here on my budget guide in the CBD area. I guess no one will wanna go for the choices I suggested. Like a pauper meal but decent enough to fill one's stomach. I don't mind personally and that's why I wrote this guide.

But on days when you feel like treating yourself a good and expensive meal, then you go to the malls or those popular places. Depends on individual taste palate, some might not be as good as you thought it would be.

The Pros:
  • Budget friendly mediocre food;
  • Convenient because within reach;
  • Fill up the stomach is the key;
  • Save time and money by not going to the malls.
A. Nasi Lemak $3.80 (extra Fishcake)

Verdict: Overall a decent meal without cucumbers and anchovies. Just egg, chicken wing and I added extra fishcake to feed the husband fuller. Chilli not enough (please ask for more from the stall helper), rice somehow not cooked properly but at least the chicken wing was fried properly (no blood traces inside) though average taste too.

B. Mee Soto $3.50 (takeout 30 cents more)

B. Mee Soto $3.50 (takeout 30 cents more)

Verdict: Husband tried once already and loving it. The key to a nice mee soto sure to be the soup. The fresh sweetness from the broth. 2nd time having it and the taste stays the same. 👍 Worth buying and is Halal by the way.

C. Fried Maggi Mee (Kosong) $2

Verdict: Never ever buy kosong (without any sides). Totally not worth the price. But you still can airfry some stuff at home to add on but that consider additional cost. So buy with at least a side or two. Overall, mediocre taste (expected) but the noodles was of a good texture, neither too soggy nor uncooked. QQ type. Still passable but not the price.

D. Roasted Chicken Rice

Brought my lunchbox to buy Chicken Rice. Save the earth and 30 cents. 积少成多. So useful my collapsible lunchbox from Starbucks that I got my bro to help me buy on April 2020 during the Circuit Breaker. Able to contain alot of food.

Verdict: This was the 2nd time Mister tried their roasted chicken rice and the chilli given was so little and overall, it tasted a little sweet. Decent portion to fill a man's stomach but there are better ones out there.

E. Samosas

Verdict: this is the 1st time trying the samosas that sell at 3 for $1.20 and 5 for $3. Decent size but too oily and not very crispy on the outside though the taste was great. If I wanna satisfy my craving, the price still considered reasonable for me to buy again.

Update (as of 22.05.2022): I'm suggesting those one dish meal, example fried rice, fried noodles and so on from Zi Char stalls which can be more worth it than Economical Rice stalls because some can be quite expensive if there is no price list (my bestie regretted buying and was complaining how ex it is). Not saying all stalls but some can be quite overpriced. Probably because of locations? For you to judge.

4. EARN EXTRAS ON YOUR FREE TIME


Not just sharing on how to save but also know how to earn more. I think other than investments, everyone should find more ways to earn extra income on your free time as a supplement. Or start being a content creator or influencer, or even a blogger like me and earn from advertisements, sponsorships or campaigns. 

The Pros:
  • Earn extra income on your free time;
  • An option to tide you for awhile before you land on a new job (applicable for unemployed);
  • No free lunch for sponsorships as you have to create and post contents (which I enjoyed);
  • Explore areas that you may be interested to do/work in to earn money.
Update (as of 25.05.2022): Earn Healthpoints through Healthy 365 app by walking 10k steps. Every completion of 10k, you earn 40 healthpoints in total. Accumulate 150 healthpoints to redeem rewards. I will always go for Transitlink redemption to top up my Ezlink for travelling to work. The most useful thing now that transport fee increasing. Sign up now! - Not sponsored.

ICYMI, I have shared the platforms to earn extras on your free time. Read here.

5. REPEATED DRESSES FOR WORK AND OUTDOOR


I'm no longer ashamed of repeating my dresses on work days in the office. Because I still alternate them each time so that my boss won't think I never wash my work attires. Haha... So don't get bored with my lift OOTD on IGS. 

The Pros:
  • Buy once a year on Lunar New Year for start work day;
  • Save money unless is dirt cheap and decent looking;
  • Style it if you are ashamed of wearing the same old thing every week;
  • Alternate it so that no one realize you are on repeat mode;
  • Maintaining it in good condition is important;
  • Learn sewing in case got holes or loose threads on your clothing (During Sec Sch time, we ladies should have learn basic sewing from Home Economics).
ICYMIA, I have shared where I usually get my dresses from. Read here.

6. SAVE ON AIRCON


The minute they announced increase in utilities bill from April 2022, I switched to fan since. Drastic move by me but have to adapt to changes immediately. So far I have only switched on the aircon for twice or thrice this April when we hit the sack and the husband is adapting to it. No complaints from him for now. Not opening windows at night because of the possible bats flying around outside.

What I usually do:
  • Adapt to change fast;
  • Switch on aircon twice or thrice a month to ensure it is still in working condition;
  • Use fan most of the time and it feels just as cold/cooling (based on my experience) as aircon;
  • Clean your fan regularly for better and stronger wind blow;
  • Open up the windows for natural, free wind blow;
  • Switch off power before heading out for work except fridge and sweeping robot.
UPDATE (23.05.2022): Compared the electricity usage for March 2022 (326kWh) with April 2022 (322kWh), a drop of 4kWh. My little effort in less aircon usage saved $0.69. More can be done. Let's do it!

7. COOK AND BAKE AT HOME

Fried Rice

Nasi Lemak

Fried Beehoon

Of course everyone knows cooking/baking at home can cost lesser than takeouts/dine out. Depends on your perspectives. ICYMI, read here on takeouts vs cooking at home.

Anyway on home cooking days, I will cook repeatedly the same thing at home like fried rice, fried beehoon/noodles, porridge, nasi lemak, chicken rice or Yong Tau Foo. For baking, either muffins or cheesecake, burnt or normal type for Mister's breakfast. Why? Because I want hassle-free meals and no need to be 3 veg 1 soup kind of meal. What's more important is feeding yourself and family.  Read here for my previous post on how I clear the fridge and kitchen pantry.

The Pros:
  • Bring out the creativity in you to whip up a meal with what you have at home;
  • Reduce food waste and save them from expiring or spoiling;
  • Make your money worth with what you buy since rising costs;
  • Learn and use hacks to prolong the food shelf life;
  • Freezing food is a very good option to prolong shelf life;
  • You can brush up on your cooking and baking skills;
  • Grow your own vegetables at home with the seeds/roots from the vegetables you bought.
8. GET FREE SAMPLES AND SAVE ON TOILETRIES/FOOD


Usually it pops out on my Facebook feed and I will see if need to go down to collect free samples. I usually grab those free samples which they will mail it to us. From facial cleanser, laundry pods to cooking paste, so long as it is free and regardless of size, I would redeem it. Don't judge ya. Some free samples come in nice packaging plus some discount vouchers for your next purchase. Worth it, right?


The Pros:
  • Test out with samples to avoid wastage on buying regular bottles before you know is good or not;
  • Keep for travelling;
  • Save money;
  • Most importantly, is free.

9. GRAB GOOD DEALS FROM TRADITIONAL MARKETS OR SOME SUPERMARKETS


Rising costs on ingredients which cannot be avoided because of the situation around the world (pandemic and war). Hawkers raising prices, ingredients more expensive, both have links to one another on this rising costs matter. So what we can do is try to open our eyes big and sharp, learn to compare prices and also buy when there is a discount or good deals. 

Giant and Cold Storage are my favourite place to go because they have those Reduced to Clear category. So long as it can still be savaged and feed you and your family, why not buy that? But first you have to plan your menu for the day as these ingredients, better to use it immediately on that day you buy. Save the food and also your money.

Or you can grab those saved vegetables from the markets where they were unwanted due to appearance but still edible. Sometimes, really don't just judge by appearance. 

ValuDollar and Japan Home are great options too. Snacks, chocolates, wet wipes and many more at affordable price. My to-go places for essentials. As usual, compare price too.

10. DON'T GO OUT UNNECESSARY

E-learning, read interesting articles

When you go out, you tend to spend money. Don't go out, no spending unless you online shopping. No reason to go out, stay at home and do whatever you want. Or ask your friends over. That saves transports too. Just offer drinks to them or snacks if you have.

Read a book

Exercise at home

But if you can't help but wanna go out, try the following tips which can help save a little money:
  • Put some snacks and a small bottle of water in your bag when you go out for a nature walk (my mum does that to fight hunger pang);
  • Bring a small water bottle to quench your thirst when out for lunch on work days;
  • Have something at home before you head out for window shopping or meet up with friends.
I did it before by having dinner at home and meet my friends at a cafe or restaurant without ordering anything. I am like this because I just wanna see my friends and do a catch up on each other's life. Not there to be busy eating (drink of cos I will order) and then food coma for a moment.

CONCLUSION

Anyway, our life still goes on even with the GST increase and also rising costs. We still have to live, still have to eat, still have to use the things necessary (and unnecessary). All we do is KPKB on the expensive price (I don't believe in anyone telling me that they won't KPKB). Some are worthy but some aren't. Again depends on individual perspectives. Well, still need to spend but in a smarter and less costly way.

You may not agree to my methods and I accept that because we have different lifestyle. At least I don't shortchange myself too much in life. If I wanna have something good, I dine out (on keto diet so try to restrict from carbs). If I want something, I will still splurge (after much consideration). Find yourself a comfortable way to save in order to be effective. Let's beat the price hike together!