Typical Traits of Commuters in Singapore | In the Bus


Really in need of an outlet to vent out the frustrations because I'm a commuter in Singapore and I have to commute between bus and MRT for work or when I go out. And what's more, I taking buses more than ever since I got married and moved to the North side. Last time living in the West, I just walked to the MRT station for work. Bus avoided, unless like I say when I go out to nearby places.

Have you encounter any of them like I do? Or I'm just the pure suay one?

1. Don't want to move in further to the back in order for more passengers to board. Until the bus captain tells them to do so. Then move a bit.

Me: I see that clearly because I'm already at the back of the bus and lots of space beside me. When there is such cases, the bus captain will let passengers to board via the back door, simply because of inconsiderate humans. Glad that this is flexible and not the normal boarding from the front. But there are black sheeps too, thinking the bus captain can't see and so never tap card. Integrity we talk about here.

2. Stand by the door even when they can move further in. Probably scare can't get down since the bus is always crowded.

Me: If you scare of that, press the bell early and walk thru the crowded bus by politely say excuse me will do. That is how I do it by pushing through the squeezy bus to get to the door. So you can still move in. No excuse.

3. Press the bell multiple times. Probably some are on their earphone blasting music, simply have hearing problem or thinking that pressing multiple times so that the bus can stop faster, is it? 

Me: I get very annoyed when some passengers keep pressing the bell like as if the bus captain doesn't know you are alighting at the next bus stop. I wonder how the bus captain feels. Unless one of the bell is spoilt (I encountered before), then you use another one to press, just one time and stop when u hear the bell ring and the Bus Stopping sign turns red. I don't think the sound of the bell is so soft that you can't hear them. Or probably you are in daze. Watch your steps.

4. On lucky days, you get to sit in the bus. Then you just sit and don't block the way of others who want to move in further.

Me: Even when the bus is crowded, if there is a seat, I will just sit so that another person or two can move in to stand. Shy what shy? Got seat for you still thinking of your pride or dignity? Just sit lah and let more passengers in as we are all heading to work mah. Don't be selfish, okay? Even for a few stops. No harm. Your butt won't burnt for sitting.

5. Miss the bus stop because you thought others will press the bell for the particular stop which many passengers will alight.

Me: Don't assume ever. When you need to alight, press the bell once. I encountered once at this bus stop where schools are, nobody press even though I saw many school uniforms Sec Sch kids. And also that stop no one is boarding, so the bus captain continue driving off to the next stop. The bus captain is not wrong okay? It is the students' fault. You see me, I see you, thinking you will press then I don't need lor. Stupid right? Don't keep looking at your phone or blast music. If not, just walk further to your school only. Take it as morning exercise. Won't die. Still young.

6. When seated with another passenger (those 2 seated ones) and when the person sitting inside wants to alight, don't just shift yourself out and let the butt nearly 'kiss' you. Stand up and allow the person more space to get out of their seat to alight.

Me: I used to be that way but then I changed to standing up from my seat and let the passenger walk out properly then I sit back. If it is crowded, I still try to stand up if possible and quickly sit down or allow another passenger to take the seat inside. Or I move in to sit. Convenience. Because I don't like unknown butt to 'kiss' the side of my face. You know when u sit down, passenger stand up and their butt is at your face level. 

Don't come telling me that since I'm so frustrated with bus rides because of the above, go take cab or Grab lor. Or best, buy yourself a car and you don't need to face such situation. 

Why should I? We have public transports made for our convenience everywhere around the island. So why should I be cabbing? You think you cab or drive to your destination, no jam meh? Ya you got your comfort, don't need to squeeze with humans. But what if you want to shit half way at CTE but can't get down? Taking public transports allow me to alight at any stations (especially MRT stations) to finish my 'business' in the toilet before continuing my journey. At expressways, you can meh? Like your surrounding is all the big big small small vehicles and you want to enroute for your 'business' also cannot hor.

Drivers have their own problems too like stuck in a 'car jam' at peak hours. Public transports will be the same like human, car and traffic jam. Hey sometimes the traffic lights damn long okay? So annoying.

Yes, taking public transports and driving can be tiring but public transports are created in a country for our convenience to reach everywhere in Singapore (re-emphasizing the fact). Cars too but that one need to pay a higher price and 10 years later, bye bye! But public transports won't say bye bye! Although I hate train faults which I really hate to the core especially when I'm heading out for work. Always curse and swear during breakdown or train fault. But still it is my first (and only) choice to transport myself to my destination. Buses too, even though the bus fare is always increasing (also cursing and swearing the recent 26 Dec 2021 increase). Click here to read the news.

Unless I want to walk like 15-20mins to the MRT station straight, then I can avoid taking buses. Rare unless I'm very enthusiastic that day. Did it only a few times. 

Enough of my rants. This post is just hoping humans can be more considerate and gracious. BYE!