Lighthouse and SDC | Day Out with the Folks

You must be wondering what lighthouse and what SDC stands for? The Raffles Marina Lighthouse and Singapore Discovery Centre. 

Adventure to the West. Lived in the West for decades but only came for a visit now. What am I missing all these while? Too lazy or busy dating back then? Well... both. Now I'm gonna explore as much as I can and capture all the memories here in my blog and also my Instagram. Also to bring the folks out for a walk on lesser crowd days. Yup we came on a Monday, non school holidays too! Love it!


Honestly, I have to be thankful for a sunny weather because I'm able to capture nice pictures (blue skies, white clouds 蓝天白云). But not the heat, Sun! We sweat from inside out and no joke. Not sure if you can see that the bridge was congested with container trucks coming to Singapore and the other way into Malaysia was smooth without much vehicles. Yes... we could see the Tuas Second Link on the right side of the photo. 

View from Tuas Link MRT station

Tell me about it. From Tuas Link MRT station, you caught a glimpse of Raffles Marina, Tuas 2nd Link and even the bridge. That was how it welcomed us even before stepping inside Raffles Marina. Oh by the way, the security guard would ask your purpose of going inside the club. Just tell them you going to walk and see scenery. By right is open for public so read here for more details. 


Let's continue. The sea breeze was a saviour under the merciless heat. Right across the sea, you could see Forest City by Country Garden Group and the Malaysian-government. My dad would call it 碧桂园 (Country Garden actually) and he was very impressed with this development as it looked like it was built in the middle of the sea. Haha... It was built on 4 man-made islands. Very different from other developments we knew either in Malaysia or Singapore.



Enough of me and the lighthouse. My dad said it would be nicer in the evening to catch sunset maybe. And also the lightings at night. Too bad I'm not living in the West now. But it was a good glimpse of this lighthouse. Was told by my dad that if you want to see the real lighthouse, have to take a boat or ferry out. Well... this one was good enough already. Save the trouble.



Screen-captured from my video because I found it nice and tranquil. Next time should visit Marina Country Club at Punggol. Been to Marina Keppel Bay before and it was so beautiful with Reflections at Keppel Bay as the stunning background. Visited a penthouse unit many years back and it was amazing looking from top down. Why am I not rich enough to buy a unit there? I can live with that view and if you ask me to work from home through out, I don't mind and I won't even want to step out of the house. Till next life.

Raffles Marina on the inside

Raffles Marina on the outside

The clubhouse is conveniently located beside Tuas Link MRT. Heard from my dad the last time they came for a visit before the station came along, they took a bus from Boon Lay Interchange. Now just a straight train ride. There weren't a lot of people when we came in the morning about 10+am. But subsequently, people flowing in for lunch at about 11+am I think. 

After that, we took a train down to Joo Koon MRT for lunch before heading to Singapore Discovery Centre. The Joo Koon Mall or do we call it Fairprice Hub? Joo Koon bus interchange at level 1. So convenience. And if you are lazy to walk, take bus 182 or 182M to Singapore Discovery Centre (1 stop only). We took a bus there and walked our way back to the MRT station thereafter. Wasn't a long walk but took about 5-10 minutes (but I have 2 old folks on toll so walk slowly).

SDC from the outside

SDC on the inside

Thank God for the sheltered pathway into the centre. Hey Mr Sun 太阳公公. Lower a bit lah the temperature, can? People may think I deserve it, knowing that the weather is brutal. Cannot meh? I wanna go out for exploration but still complain on the heat and I'm not sorry for that. Luckily it wasn't crowded. And I wondered who would actually visit this place like us, unless schools send their students here for an educational, fun and interactive tour. Oh the Pedal Boat is only available on weekends. I think under this weather, you will turn 1 tone darker after that. Please apply a thick layer of sunblock.


We went for the free gallery, Through the Lens of Time. Started with the history of early Singapore (remember Sang Nila Utama) to Sir Stamford Raffles time, then Japanese Occupation and thereafter, the nation building days till today. The illustration on screen was good and more in-depth knowledge of our country's history.






The MacDonald House Bombing

The islandwide sabotage during the Konfrontasi period

Home Ownership

Dazzling Clenched Fist

Done and dusted. 到此一游. First and last (for SDC). And I will suggest your Westside exploration to start from Raffles Marina and down to Singapore Discovery Centre. It makes more sense to me this way. And with the train ride, you get to see our industrial area in the West. I saw many integrated logistics hubs, including my Company's. Tiring but fulfilling trip with my folks. Stay tune for more. 

Okay. That's it for now. Enjoy the heat during your trip. Bye!

Getting There:
  1. Raffles Marina : Alight at Tuas Link MRT, out of the station and turn to your left.
  2. Singapore Discovery Centre : Take bus 182 or 182M at Joo Koon Bus Interchange (Joo Koon MRT) and alight the next stop.