Train Experiences in Singapore


Continue from my previous post on Typical Traits of Commuters in Singapore - In the Bus. This time round will be on Train but not just the commuters' traits in the train, also on the train itself and human behaviour in the station. Much broader than buses.

Disclaimer: You may not agree with me but please accept the fact that we are different, especially for those who hardly take public transport and most of the time, driving. You have your own driving pet peeves but the majority of the population are taking the public transport. They have their own frustrations which some got used to it and ignored them, some choose to voice out. Whether small or big matters, it is still a matter that can be solved through public education.


1. STAND WITHIN THE QUEUE LINE

Actually, SMRT/SBS Transit has the lines drawn for people to queue. But why some just don't want to do so and just stand in the middle where it is the alighting passengers' right of way? Why? I really don't understand. Yes. Sometimes you really want to get home fast and don't want to wait for the next train because train is packed. But have some courtesy and let others alight by standing inside the line. Common sense tells you the middle is for alighting passengers before you board. WHY WHY WHY??? You think they draw the lines for free is it? In their operating/maintenance costs okay? If not why they increase the fare for? 又不是7月半的鬼. So rush then go take a cab. 

2. OCCUPY THE SEAT WITH THEIR STUFF

Most of the time, the elderly are the ones who will do that. Not as if their stuff are so precious till they can't put it on the floor and 'kiap' in between the legs or just put it on the lap and hug it. Sometimes, they occupy one seat for their stuff but some two seats. Are they thinking they can just throw their 'senior citizen privilege' or whatever privilege? You know some of these people 倚老卖老 or 仗着他们是老人 so no one dares to reprimand them. Okay to be fair, not just the elderly but all ages 不分男女老少 and I seen with my own eyes before. 

I realized that those big sized people, they have to put their stuff on another seat because of their big-sized tummy (like pregnant women but preggie ladies will get the priority seats so no worries). Okay I understand now. But next time, please put on the floor.

3. BLAST THE MUSIC OR VIDEOS WITHOUT EARPIECE

Excuse me. I don't want to hear what the hack you are watching on the phone. No earpiece go get one and plug in to listen if you cannot tahan (tolerate) a mute video or shows by looking at the subtitles. Now so many cheap earpiece set. This type of people is so inconsiderate towards others. They are in their own world and thinking no one in the train. Please do that at home. Okay some even brought along small radios with them and just play the music as if others enjoy their music. Some even play chanting stuff in the radio. OMG!!! 

4. STAND ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ESCALATOR UP/DOWN THE PLATFORM

Seriously, you stand on the left if you are lazy to walk up the escalator and on the right for those to walk up. Some just stand there, thinking no one at the back. And I have to walk up and say excuse me then they siam (scram to the left side). Some elderly they know they don't have the strength to walk up the escalator and yet they stand there. They win! Everyone will not go ask them to siam (scram to the left side) because what if they fall backward? Probably they don't know. Need to educate the elderly on public transport ethnics in all languages and dialects.

And to those still young and strong, if lazy to walk up or no strength, stand on the left and don't block those who want to catch the train or rushing for time on the right.

Another example is walking down the stairs when you alight from the train. I can see some walk so slow while watching show on the phone. OMG I salute such people who is not afraid of falling down from front. The best part when both side (left and right) got human walking and such people is an obstruction to the stairs. Really. Imagine encountering those both walk so slow on both sides. HOW? Suay lor. But seldom elderly will walk down the stairs. They cannot make it one. I usually see them go further to the middle of the platform to take the lift or far end to take escalator. THANK GOD!

Foreign visitors to our country, please stay clear from the right side of escalator and stand on your left. And we are right side driving too.

5. GIVING UP SEATS TO THE RIGHT PERSON


The sticker paste at the corner of Priority Seats is to guide you who to give up the seat. Yes I am this stubborn that I only give up seats to these people listed in the sign only and no kids who can stand and run around. I just don't know but only those who are held on hand by their parents, I will give up my seat. Pardon my stubborn but these people in the sign need the seat more than kids who can't sit still (plus noisy). Or probably their parents can sit with them like how it is in the sign display. 

6. TOP UP SUFFICIENT MONEY IN YOUR EZLINK CARD

Top up more or use bank card for tapping in and out of the station. Don't jam up others at the back because you have insufficient money. Because it is like a smooth flow and commuters just tap in and out then suddenly jam up. It kind of like a domino effect. People at the back will be like nearly trip on others front and back. No safe distancing for such thing okay? 

And some of them have so many cards in their wallet or cardholder that the machine doesn't read it correctly. And this one also jam. This case is worse because the person has to take out the travel card from the wallet to tap. JAM MAX! Have to cut other people queue on the other machine.

7. BOARDING A LITTLE TO NO-AIRCON TRAIN

My friend had experienced a few times boarding a train that the aircon hardly blow out wind. I also experienced that just today (9/5/2022). Was so hot after alighting the bus and hoping the aircon in the train can help cool it but no. I don't feel the wind. The aircon is on but the environment feels so stagnant. OMG be quick to phase out the old trains please. The weather is getting hotter and aircon in the bus and train is greatly appreciated. If not, increase the fare for what? For your operating costs and maintenance please.

8. UPGRADING OF PUBLIC TOILETS IN THE STATIONS

Recently, I saw the toilets being hoard up for upgrading at Yishun MRT. Finally they are going to do something about the toilets. The worst toilet I ever went in to is at Yio Chu Kang station. Back then I was still in my previous company in 2017-2018, I always half way need to get down the station to poo. But now no more such conditions. *touch wood* Always have to get down at Yio Chu Kang, the worst toilet ever because I cannot tahan anymore. It stinks max and if I really have a choice, I will stop at Bishan instead but I really can't. I have to hold my breath to throw my dumps. OMG. I'm not the only one said this. Hopefully they have upgraded the toilets there. And all toilets in all the stations or those stations which don't have toilets, please build one. I absolutely think all the stations should have toilets. ABSOLUTELY! And don't build too far out of the station. People may not be able to hold that long to reach the toilet. 

9. SITTING ON THE TRAIN FLOOR

No seats so have to sit on the floor is it? I call these people lazybone. No matter how tired you are after work or school, sitting on the train floor is good enough to block the way for other passengers alighting or boarding. Tired then go take a cab home. You can even sleep in the cab. Sometimes I really purposely kick their bags. It is really that annoying. I have yet to encounter people sitting on the bus floor. Don't let me see it.

10. STANDING BY THE DOOR AND NOT MOVING IN

You scare you can't alight at your stop is it? Stand there like a blockhead, how you want people to board the train? Don't kiasi. Miss the stop, U-turn back will do. Sometimes have to resort to squeeze myself to get my way in. Lucky I'm slim. I remember once in Hong Kong taking their train. Really jam packed and so hard to get out. When we reached our stop, I pushed my way out without giving a damn to those people. I'm a merciless bull. Don't let me try this in Singapore. It will be very ugly.

The above are the ones I have experienced that frustrates me at times (or most of the time). I just hope for more better education on public transport ethnics. I, one person hoping to influence others by doing the right thing but as if they care, right? Okay then. Don't ever complain if you met with the above experiences like I do. Ya you may think no big deal but it is a big deal to some. Okay, cheers and bye!