Travelogue | 48hrs in Bangkok, Thailand


#MajorThrowbackto2018

This was a trip over the weekend, like after work on a Friday night flight reaching Bangkok and flying back on a Sunday afternoon. With 6 other female colleagues of mine, our Manager was so scared that we won't come in on Monday for work. Because we were in the same team. Hilarious. Over the weekend she must be praying hard no flight delays, no hiccups and etc. Well... at least we got back safely though tired. Because it was a 48 hours trip to Bangkok including our flight time and all. Didn't get to do much but at least managed to do meaningful stuff like going to the temple to donate coffins (actually money donations to pay for coffins to the poor deceased). All thanks to one of my colleague's suggestion.


We travelled by AirAsia and stayed for 1.5 nights at Mandarin Hotel Bangkok. Our stay wasn't near to stations or malls. Had to walk a distance. But there was Starbucks just beside the hotel and loving it. There were shops down the street and luckily, convenience stores. By the time we reached hotel, it was already passed midnight about 1-2+ am if I remembered correctly. The streets were so quiet by then. Brave ones headed out to the convenience stores to grab some bites. By the time we slept, it was about 3-4+. And I made everyone woke up early to start the day straight. Haha... and my threat to them was whoever late at the lobby meetup would be treating all for breakfast. Yes right. Everyone on time. And they slept few hours only. Haha...

A glimpse of our hotel stay.

The hotel lobby

The lobby plus seating area

The pool

And so we headed out for the day. First stop, the temple for coffin donation. Since it was on the way, we dropped by first between taking the train out for breakfast, and shopping. 

Ruamkatanyu Foundation

500 baht for one coffin. So donate one or more, as you wish. A process to go through so just follow accordingly. Remember to burn away the receipt of your donation. Don't bring back. The nearest station to Ruamkatanyu Foundation is Sam Yan. Take Exit 1.

We took a train to our destination, Platinum Mall. But there wasn't any nearest. Dropped at Ratchathewi station. And we actually walked a freaking long way using our GPS. I'm fine actually but the rest of the ladies, not sure. Stop at a convenience store to grab a drink and continued our walk. If I'm not wrong, we stopped at Pantip Pratunam for A&W breakfast. Hey in 2018, A&W wasn't back in Singapore yet. I had Fish Burger and Root Beer Float for breakfast. 



A&W Breakfast Set

After breakfast, proceeded with Platinum Mall shopping. For me when I travelled without my husband, I would tend to look for his stuff more than mine. Or something that would attract me to look for it after going one round. If you have been to this Mall, you knew of it being a maze. You couldn't find the shop that you went in before. 

Hey remember S Hook 姐? That period she was so famous on FB Live selling clothes that can hook many things. Super exaggerating and the way she speaks, super Ah Lian. And drawn the attention of Mark Lee, Singapore comedian. Hopefully I remembered correctly. So I was walking around the Mall and saw this shop selling super long hooks, instantly I thought of her. Haha... So long hook for what? Maybe when you dropped something which that area or corner not reachable by hand, this might help.

Outside Platinum Mall where street hawkers gather. And I would see food more than anything else. But sensitive stomach deterred me from having them all by myself. Oh ya forgot that all of us split up at the Mall to see the things we wanted. All of us got different pace and for me, I'm fast pace. So I would get bored because I finished from top to ground floor like speedy gonzales. Why? Nothing I fancy.

I guess after that, we walked to Central World where Big C was just opposite. One of the ladies remembered a way there through Platinum Mall. Great. So much of walking, we could have a good meal there.

As usual after reaching there, we split yet again. I went with 3 others for hotpot lunch at MK Restaurant. Overall verdict, just hotpot. Nothing special. 





Guess what I found? Starbucks Reserve. So big and crowded. We sat there for a drink after shopping. And I got nothing to buy. Surprise right? I ended up buying at the store next to our hotel. 

Some photos taken with the ladies in the train and station. This is what you get when you are out with a young bunch. Goofing around. πŸ˜πŸ˜œπŸ˜›




At night, we headed to the night market but it was raining heavily. Like thunder storm, lightning flash. Dampen the mood. πŸ˜‘Headed to another one which supposed to have night market too. Guess what? Drizzling after the rain and no electricity. The whole night market operated in the dark. πŸ˜“ I remember having a beer with one of the ladies while walking around in the dark. You thought nobody walked around right? Wrong. Still got people walking inside the night market. Truly a night market, or should I called it dark market? 


I remembered this to be my dinner before heading to the night market. It was inside a Mall and the night market was just beside. This was the one and only dinner I had in Bangkok in our 48 hours trip.

You can call me a mountain tortoise but it was my first time seeing pink eggs. At Tesco.


And we gathered in one room before checking out. Because some ladies were not ready yet. The unglam side of us. Shame shame no care.




Buy already never drink. Need to drink finish and dump it before heading to the airport. Lovey Dovey. Confirm regular toilet visits. Probiotic mah, if I'm not right.


This pack of Calbee came with a pair of chopsticks. And you know I'm taught by the younger generation to use chopsticks to pick your chips so that you don't dirty your hands. So after I left this company, once awhile I will do that. But sometimes it doesn't make sense if you are not using a disposable chopsticks. Your purpose is to have clean hands without washing but if you use a washable chopsticks, may as well you use your hands. Because you are going to wash the chopsticks and not just dump it with the wrappers. Not environmental friendly too. But the whole thing is to use a disposable chopsticks and dump with the wrappers/packaging. End of story.

Last bit of our trip, had Mcdonald's at the airport. You know you can't get Pork Burgers in Singapore so you just have to try on one. So I had Samurai Pork Burger, Corn Pie and Green Curry Chicken Pie. I'm contented now.



Green Curry Chicken Pie




Corn Pie

Super rush trip and only managed to visit a few place in 48 hours. Was looking forward to my Bangkok trip this year March 2020 but because of this STUPID PANDEMIC STUPID COVID-19, it was cancelled. Thanks but no thanks WUHAN VIRUS a.k.a COVID-19. The whole of 2020 has been wasted. I hope for a better 2021.

Oh by the way, just a reminder that this trip with the ladies was back in 2018. Cheers.