Product Review | Journey with Instant Pot



Again, I first spotted this pot from a American Youtuber. And being a cheapskater, I decided to buy on Black Friday Sales because there was really a good deal: a Instant Pot that comes with a ceramic inner pot already, plus an extra stainless steel inner pot. Imagine a stainless steel inner pot itself costs $59.90. Oh plus free delivery. For $219!!! How about that? Multi-functional gadgets nowadays are my favourite after my Cuisinart purchase.

I will be trying out the different modes of Instant Pot and will drop my experience (good or bad) along the way. The one thing I realized was this Pot adopted countdown timer for different modes and only Warm mode, timer. Interesting. 

Honestly, I didn't have the habit of reading Instruction Manual and so it would be exploration along the way. Like surprises here and there.

RICE MODE


I used the ceramic inner pot for rice cooking. Honestly, I came across better ceramic pot like the one of my ricecooker. This one from Instant Pot needs improvement. IP's inner pot is thinner, light and smooth hand touch which I was so afraid to scratch the layer of coating, unlike the solid and heavier feel of my rice cooker's inner pot. 

And the rice sticks to the pot, making it difficult not to waste the rice grains. Am I doing it right? Kinda doubt myself now whether is my problem or the pot. Felt a little disappointed on my first try, even though it took less time to cook as compared with my rice cooker.

Mode: Rice - Keep Warm 10mins - Quick Release

Anyway, Husband's cooking Fried Rice with it so if you miss my long time ago post on Culinary | Homecooked Eggy Fried Rice, go take a look. Or you can watch my husband cooking on my Youtube channel.


SOUP/BROTH MODE



Using the stainless steel inner pot to remake my White Fungus soup. In case you miss the previous post on Snacks Review | Just Nuts Singapore (and Simple Recipes included), you can find my recipe in there.

Took me like an hour to complete because needed to add different stuff at different time. And it worked pretty well. My red dates were like so soft and even 'breaking' apart. Nice work.

Mode: Soup/Broth (Normal) - Keep Warm 10 mins - Quick Release

SAUTE MODE
MEAT/STEW MODE
STEAM MODE


Have stated my thoughts on these 3 modes in the video description so you can read and watch at the same time.

Anyway, I'm surprised we had edible cooked food when the last 2 modes failed on me. Actually not really failed. When I opened up, it was boiling. So when the screen appeared 'ON', what does that mean? Warming up before the countdown timer? Any advice please? Drop in the comment section. I'm gonna try again on the 2 failed mode on my Briyani. Really need to try till you get the hang of it with this pot.

Oh and we started with stainless steel pot then ceramic pot. Even my husband finds the latter not very good. Not just me ya. 

Or if you like to watch over the stove version, here is the video:


BEAN/CHILLI MODE


Another mode on trial using stainless steel pot. Making Red Bean Soup with whatever I wanna put in it. If not, food will be wasted if left in the cupboard to expire. And I learnt not to Quick release of the vent from this experience because it dirtied my kitchen top. 😤

First look, the beans looked intact but when it goes into your mouth, it actually soften already. Success. If you prefer Red bean paste, just blend it and put it back to the pot and cook again. 

Ingredients:
1 cup of red beans, soaked overnight
White fungus, soaked
1/3 cup of rock sugar
1.8 litres of water

Method:
1. Add soaked red beans and dried longan into the pot with 1.5 litres of water. 
2. Press Bean/Chilli Mode, High Pressure for 30 minutes (Normal). 
3. Once done, Quick release on the vent.
4. Add rock sugar and white fungus into the pot with 300ml of water.
5. Repeat Step 2.
6. Once done, let it warm for 10 minutes while Natural release.
7. Serve hot.

WARM MODE


After I made my Red Bean Soup, I let it be in the pot for next day's consumption. So when I woke up, I just press the Warm button and let it warm up my soup. It remained warm even after I switched off the pot which was good because didn't need to waste electricity. Overall, this mode passed.

STEAM MODE✅



My cousin ordered Barramundi and got them sent over to my parents. Got myself 2 pieces to cook at home. My mum said frying was a little waste so just steam.

Ingredients and Method:

Marinated the fish with salt, pepper and sesame oil. Set for at least half a day before steaming. Before steaming, Mister put spring onions, chopped onions, minced ginger and garlic, red chilli padi and ready to go. The sauce mixture: light soya sauce, sugar and sesame oil. To make it more fragrance, heat up the oil till it boiling and put in garlic. Fast hand turn off the fire and drizzle over the fish and ready to eat.

Steam mode worked well. I purposely put 900ml to 1 litres of water in the pot for the steaming. So that it won't prompt me Food Burn again. Yup it didn't.

Mode: Steam (Normal: for 10 mins) - Quick Release (for impatient person like myself)

PORRIDGE MODE


Telling you from my experience that water is much needed if you don't want your food to get burnt.

I cooked with 3/4 cup of rice for my porridge with 5 cups of water. When you opened up, you would see a layer of water on top of the porridge, which you just have to stir it together and there you go, your porridge. It really depends on the amount of water and also the timing to get the texture you wanted.

Realized that when I put 1 more cup of water to cook for another 5 mins, it prompted me Food Burn even before the countdown timer start. Got water also will Food Burn? I'm surprised. So gave up and stirred them well. Let me tell you when you see 'ON', I could actually hear the bubbling sound in the pot. Meaning it is cooking even before the timer starts. So I assume after using few times now, 'ON' is heating/warming up to the temperature to start the cooking. Do you agree?


Wrote previously on Culinary | Homecooked Porridge so you can read on how I made them over the stove. Or read Culinary | #howireducefoodwastage - Soto Ayam on how I used remaining Soto Ayam soup to make porridge.

Mode: Porridge (Normal: for 20 mins) - Natural Release 

SOUP/BROTH + PRESSURE COOK MODE


This time round we used 2 modes (as mentioned) and it was unbelievable. The fishball for example, so soft that it lost the springy-ness and texture like you are having some tender meat. Hands down. Mixed mode is powerful. Save time. Gonna have it for at least 2 meals. 

HOW TO WASH INSTANT POT


You can take out this rubber and wash it. Even that pressure release knob on the lid also can be taken out to wash. And try not to cook until charred so that you don't have a hard time washing.

Just did an experiment on a pot which the charred area in the pot was so hard to even scrape out. So what we did was spreading that charred area with baking soda. Make sure it covers the area properly. Then you pour in vinegar. Bring it to boil. Once done, leave it overnight. The next day, it was so easy to scrape and my pot is so clean now. Just some kitchen hacks to share.
.
.
.
So I'm sort of done with my experiment on some of these modes. Still need more trial and error cooking with this pot in order to get the most out of it. Make it worthwhile. Probably I should try more recipes with it. Easy to use, just need to figure out the terms on the pot (like what is Less, Normal and More).

On the other hand, at least I know I'm prepared that if my ricecooker die on me, my Instant Pot can do the job. And I got no steamer at home so now Instant Pot can take up this job in future so that I can have more healthier food from steaming (yes I know over the stove also can steam in that old school way). Just like my Cuisinart Airfryer cum Oven.

The last thing I wanna know if whether this pot is energy saving. Any advice from fellow users? Do let me know. I'm lazy to find out myself. Like super lazy. Thank in advance. Cheers.