Culinary | Sausage Buns with a Modern Touch

Sausage buns are common in our local food scene and it is one of my favourite bite from breakfast to lunch and even as a snack. It is a convenience food for everyone and can easily access to at any local bakeries. There are also varieties of sausage bun creations to appeal the different taste buds. Tell me which bakeries in Singapore doesn't have it in their menu. They gonna lose out a lot of income to other bakeries who has it. 

Before I got married, I have zero knowledge on baking (likewise for cooking). Tried pre-mix with instruction but the success rate is inconsistent. Sometimes I really wanna give up when I failed big times. Only after Panasonic SD-P104 Bread Maker came into my life early this year, it is a boost to my morale and confidence in baking. My saviour. With the help of the breadmaker along with my beginner skill, no more wastage of ingredients and food again. I love it to the moon and back.


Besides, the breadmaker is easy to use and keep. Anyone like me, a newbie will know how to use with just 5 simple steps. The only thing that you need to do is measuring the quantity of ingredients correctly. Plus follow instruction from Panasonic Cooking recipe book closely. It is that simple.


Bread Dough Making

Preparation Time: 10 mins          Required Time: 1 hour          Serving: 2 persons

Ingredients:
  • 280g Bread Flour, sieved
  • 50g Butter
  • 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 2 tbsp Milk Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 a Medium size Egg
  • 160ml Cold Water, taken out from fridge
  • 1 tsp Instant Dry Yeast
Bread Maker Instruction:
  1. Add in all the ingredients except yeast into the bread pan.
  2. Place dry yeast in the yeast dispenser.
  3. Select Menu 9 for Bread dough and press Start. 
  4. Once done, press stop and take out the bread pan immediately.
The essence of this recipe is on the bread dough, not the stuffing nor toppings. Read on till the last part.

The dough is ready after an hour
Look at how big is this baby
Forming of Loaf

Preparation Time: approx 2 hours          Baking Time: approx 45 mins (3 batches)

Method:
  1. Roll and shape it round.
  2. Divide them into 12 pieces with a scraper.
  3. Cover it with small towel and place still for 30 mins.
  4. Roll each dough into oval shape for easy wrapping
  5. Wrap with your preferred ingredients (here, I use 6 sausages, halve it)
  6. Sprinkle water on the dough and cover with small towel.
  7. Let it rise for 45 mins.
  8. Preheat the oven at 200degC.
  9. Coat the surface with egg mixture (1 beaten egg)
  10. Bake for 15 mins
  11. If you want a better colour, bake for another 3-5 mins.
  12. Monitor it to avoid char.
'Sitting still' for 30 mins
After 30 mins + sausage wrapped
After 45 mins of 'rising' & ready for egg washing
After a light egg wash & ready to bake
My Sesame Sausage Buns ready to bake
And so is Paprika baby
Just to let you peeps know that I used the leftover oil from frying onions to grease the baking tray. Yes... suggested by my husband. For that light fragrant smell. Learnt from Panasonic Cooking Demo over the past weekend. Wanna know how to do it?

Homemade Fried Shallots/Onions
  1. The quantity depends on your need (I tried with 5 small onions).
  2. Peel and chop the shallots/onions to small pieces (not too small).
  3. Put into a microwave-safe bowl with some oil and a pinch of salt.
  4. The oil must be enough to cover the shallots/onions.
  5. Choose Micro Power at 1000W for 2 mins on Panasonic Steam Convection Oven.
  6. Then another 1.5 mins and it will be done. Try to stir in between.


Before moving on with the extra ingredients, I must tell you a story behind the flavourful dough. Initially, I just wanna try out the dough with herbs. But my husband wanted a more creative one so he put in a tablespoon of minced garlic and onion each into the bread pan. Plus some garlic salt. A bit skeptical at first but when the buns turned out unexpectedly good, I got rebuked by him for all the nagging.

So to add a modern touch to this traditional sausage buns, here are the ingredients we put into the bread dough making:
  • 1 tbsp of Spaghetti Bolognese Herbs
  • 1 tbsp of Minced Garlic
  • 1 tbsp of Minced Onion
  • Garlic salt (at your preferred amount)
It makes the bread more of an Italian flavour. The smell and taste is just like garlic bread. So no need pre-made garlic bread paste anymore.

Then again, I added some toppings to the bread before sending them to the oven:
  • Sesame seeds
  • Paprika Powder
The Original Sausage Buns
The Sesame Sausage Buns
The Paprika Sausage Buns
The Sausage Buns Galore with a Modern Touch
After Thoughts

Regardless the taste, put on your thinking caps for new creations. My Paprika Sausage buns is one of them but doesn't taste good though the bun is soft and tasty. Minced garlic has this fermentation effect. It rises bigger, wetter and stickier. Luckily all the bakes turned out well. So gotta reduce the amount of minced garlic and onion to one teaspoon. Also the longer time you let the dough rise, the bigger you get. I love them on double. Wanna have garlic bread? Herbs + Minced Garlic & Onion is all you need. And more practice on my shaping. Just look at how odd and ugly the shape of my buns.

You may have seen my previous posts on bread making with different stuffing or topping. I decided it is time to level up my baking skill. Stay till for my next improved recipe. The result will be satisfying. 

If you can't decide on which breadmaker to get, I recommend you Panasonic SD-P104 Bread Maker. It gives you the softest bread than any other breadmakers. Available in stores near you.

This post is proudly brought to you by Panasonic Singapore and OMY.sg.