Lifestyle | Quick Guide for Self Care 101

I think all ladies out there have their own ways of caring for themselves from inside out. Same to me. But probably I'm a little different as I seldom buy expensive beauty products because I'm frugal (or just pure stingy). If I'm gifted with beauty products, of course I will use. 

I care more on inner beauty than the outer. I believe if we keep to our daily routine (eat and sleep well, exercise, mentally stress-free), we should be able to glow from within. Just a little touch-up on the appearance for special occasions will do. That is my belief. But at times a little help on the outside (cheap and feasible) might be helpful. Read on and you will know.

But if you talk about slim body, I will try dieting or exercise, recently splurge a little more on slimming gel which did gave me a little result. You can read from the link here. Support local businesses, okay? Or just love your body. Don't overgrown the usual self.

So now, I wanna share with you how I care for myself through online info search or magazines and also my husband's knowledge on some things that helped me eventually to be still kicking alive and well. I arrange them from habits to application to consumption. No right or wrong method, just suitable or not. 

1. TAME THE CRAMPSπŸ‘

I hate menses cramps and in order not to torture myself, I make sure that one (1) week prior to my next menstrual cycle, I will halt all cold drinks (and even alcohol) and only drink lukewarm water or hot tea or just room temperature water. Yes it really spared me from the uneasiness and pain during that PMS week. 

And after hearing from others that if you take painkiller during PMS week, it will somehow lessen your discharge. I'm like no way am I gonna lessen the flow as it will eventually affect your health as some things need to discharge then let it go. 


2. GROOMING SESSION ONCE A MONTHπŸ™†

When I say grooming, it means going for my threading and waxing session. To rid the hairs from my brows, upper lips and underarms. I'm willing to spend about $30 once a month for this session that takes less than 15 minutes to complete. And also as part of my own effort in supporting local businesses. Yes the shop is just at my neighbourhood and as long as it satisfies my grooming needs and budget, I don't see why I need to upkeep myself at expensive, atas beauty parlours that requires me to travel out far. Now it is just walking distance.


3. RUNNING ON THE TREADMILL πŸƒ

Got our treadmill from Decathlon online and it was way better than our previous. Because of hub's knee problem, he preferred running on treadmill at home rather than outside, which I actually prefer the latter. Anyway with this new treadmill, I started liking to run indoor than outdoor.

I got my own running routine like one week, run on odd number days (1, 3, 5, 7), another week, run on even number days (2, 4, 6). Sometimes I follow through on weekdays, other times I skip one of those days. You just don't feel like doing it, then don't. Rest well and can do it the next day. But don't follow your heart too much unless you know how to differentiate between laziness and tiredness. 

Stick to running more than other exercises because I just don't like. And last time I used to run to slim my body down. And rope skipping too. Conclusion, I will at least exercise 1-2 days a week or 3 days if I'm on form.



4. TACKLING WITH DRY SKINπŸ‘

Yes I know this is a known thing liao to most ladies out there. But I just like to tell my part of how I deal with my skin.

Before I met my husband, I have terrible skin problem with rashes on and off. It just felt so terrible. I should give myself a pat on the shoulder for tolerating this problem without much care. Actually I did, like applying medicated oil or cream to it. But too lazy to think about using moisturizer.

After I started applying moisturizer on my entire body after shower diligently for months, that problem went off and I got smooth skin again. And I always head to Valudollar Store for my purchase of Vaseline lotion. Because cheaper than Watsons and Guardian, for sure.

And I'm quite inflexible. If the lotion says body lotion, I always assume is for body and not inclusive of face. I got acne-prone and sensitive face so I don't anyhow put anything on them. Only recently when my face sting from cleansing, then I know can apply Physiogel on my face when my husband told me. Cool and the stinging feel went off after a few days. My Saviour! Expensive thou. Must wait for offer or special discounts.

Oh... almost forgot! Olay. My husband introduced me to use Olay since our paktor days (and that's like 12 years already). Very basic one that is not costly when purchase at the right place. I used it for my face and whether good or not, I saw improvement from dry, flaky face (when apply makeup) to smooth one. This also took me awhile in order to see results.



5. SUPPLEMENT BOOST

Started with supplements like Evening Primrose Oil in my mid 20s. Then after I met my then-boyfriend now husband in my late 20s, he introduced me to Vitamin C, knowing that I have sinus problem way before we met. It has been 12 years since I started my Vitamin C intake, this problem did go away. I don't wake up with running nose or sniffing away. I'm done with this routine every single morning.

As you grow older, you pop more supplements. Some of my friends were saying that they didn't want to rely on supplements too much and what if you stop taking? What is next? Back to square one?

I can only say that if you never take at all, it can be worse. Who knows, right? Because who can say that their daily food intake is balanced? Hardly. So supplements are just a boost or to top up what you lack. And then years later, these friends who said that are now looking for supplement intake. πŸ˜’ Told ya... don't argue with me on this supplement part. Last time you don't need them, doesn't mean now you don't need. Preventive is better than Corrective. Which is more expensive? Supplements or medical bills?

How I actually don't be reliance on supplements? I don't take them on non-working days, which usually on weekends or when I take leave. When I travel for holidays, will bring along only Vitamin C. You must be guessing what other supplements I take? Look below for the ones that I take.


Magnesium is to prevent my leg cramp while sleeping at night. This happens like once in a blue moon. But now that I drink water more than usual, the occurrence of muscle spasms in the night lessen. Woohoo... but omitting it since drinking more water helps. And fish oil too, omitting it once finished.

Oh by the way, do you know my hub and I share the supplements? Don't need to buy 2 sets. Economical way.


6. DAILY FRUITS INTAKEπŸŽπŸ‰πŸ‹

I will always set at least a quarter of our grocery expenses on fruits. The common ones will be bananas, oranges and apples. When there are special offers at the supermarkets, will grab cherries, blueberries, papaya, dragonfruits and watermelon. 

And I read before that it will be good to have your intake of fruits 30 minutes to an hour before your meal. We usually have our fruits intake at night so that's before dinner for us. Because fruits digest in our body faster than our food so in order to absorb the natural nutrients from the fruits, having them before a meal ensure nothing go to waste.

Actually we only have like one serving of fruits a day instead of two but better than nothing, right? Sometimes when I'm lazy, I totally do not want to touch any fruits. Like no interest for the day. So one serving a day is better than none. 

Having fruits actually help me in many ways. Oranges intake, cure my flu for that day. Papaya intake, if I constipate. Blueberries intake, for antioxidants. Bananas intake, energy to run more. Honestly, you have to take regularly. And if you find supplements to be expensive, then the next alternative is fruits. 2 servings a day. For me, I'm on for both fruits and supplements.



7. OCCASIONAL HEADACHESπŸ‘Œ

At times I will experience headaches (even until now) and especially weekends. I really don't know why. Used to pop Panadol whenever it acts up but now, I tried to find other ways to get rid of the pain. The following ways works for me (depends on individuals):
  1. Drink lots of water. You may not feel thirsty but actually you are dehydrated. My hub told me zillion times but I don't really listen. Just don't know why I don't like to drink water at home but in the office, I will.
  2. Sweat it out by running outdoor or on treadmill for at least 30 minutes. Or other exercises you preferred that let you sweat buckets. Never try other exercise than running so do let me know if it works.
  3. Drink herbal tea. Sometimes your body constitution is heaty and in need to dispel the heat out thru urine or bowel movement. This method was introduced to me by my parents since young. And having the easiest way to brew the tea. Just get a stainless steel big mug, put in the teabags of both and pour in boiling water. Let it sips for 5 minutes and pour out in your cup. 
A teabag or 2 of δ½•δΊΊε―ε‡‰θŒΆ and a teabag of η”˜ε’ŒθŒΆ to work on your heaty body


8. CONTROL MY WEIGHT THRU 2 LITRES OF WATER A DAY

Briefly read an online article about drinking water at specific timing for weight control: the moment you wake up, 9am, 11.30am, 1pm, 3.30pm, 5.30pm, 7pm and 9pm. Total of 8 timings a day. Did not really find out how much water to consume each time but I make myself drink 310ml (10oz) each using my Tupperware bottles as a guide. On top of that, I still drink hot tea, water and sometimes, soft drinks. 

After diligently trying out for a week, it did dropped like half a kg. No dieting for me but ate less because no urge or hungry. Surprisingly. Alternate days of treadmill running. That's it. I will continue with this routine because it helped to discipline myself to drink water regularly, especially while at home. In the office, I will automatically drink a lot, probably 1.5L excluding my dosage of hot tea in the morning. 

This method still needed more time to determine its effectiveness as exercising is still a mandatory process in order to drop your weight. Or probably if you are not looking at losing weight but more on your physique, then exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes a day, 5 day a week.

My bottles and cup in the office


9. A CUP OF LUKEWARM LEMON WATER A DAYπŸ‘

I don't understand why lemons are so expensive when I needed them most in my life. If you read my past post (link here), you will know why I'm so obsessed with drinking lemon water. Whenever there are good deals in the supermarket or even traditional markets, I will buy one shot a lot and make a few bottles to keep in the fridge. It can last me at least for a month or so.

Squeeze the juice out, store in a glass bottle and put in the chiller. Every morning when you wake up, just pour a little into your drinking water and drink it. No specific amount of water so just drink from your usual cup. The juice, probably a tablespoon or two depending on the amount of water you intend to drink. For lukewarm water, mix with room temperature and boiling water.

I tried this drinking method for a year and it did helped to flatten my tummy. Slow in seeing the results as I drank only once a day in the morning. But I rather slow than fast. And then I stopped. And then I continue like... when I remember then I drink. And also lemons have Vitamin C which I needed most to prevent flu or sinus (maybe). 

Lemons and more lemons


So what do you think of my self care ways? I'm comfortable with doing all these. Not sure about you. They aren't difficult or troublesome. Just whether you wanna do it or not. If you care about yourself, read more online like me and take note on the essential ones that lead you to pink of health. Reading up really helps to expand your knowledge bank by a lot if you try out what you find. Some works, some don't. You never try, you never know what's works or good for you.

Do let me know if you have other tips to share, like how I have shared mine. Cheers.