Food Review | Mooncakes Galore, Maybe?

To be honest, I don't buy any mooncakes during Mid-Autumn Festival, like every year. Because it is just me and my husband, and he doesn't like mooncakes (unless is snowskin or ice cream mooncakes).

So how do I get a taste of it every year? At my parents' place for a slice or two, or if my husband ever bring back a box or two from work (given by suppliers or contractors to him or his Company).

Didn't expect to receive mooncakes or even buy them myself this year. Because to me, they are expensive.  Especially those snowskin durian or ice cream mooncakes. Well... both of us prefer that than the traditional ones. Not saying I totally don't like traditional ones but egg yolk-less please? Probably just give me those lotus paste with nuts type. That will do the trick. 

Since we are receiving them, then will also be giving them to our family for a taste of different brands. Meantime, I can also do a review too. 1 stone kills 2 birds.

Here we go... 

PARADISE GROUP 乐天

When I got this box of Teochew Yam Pastry Mooncake, I'm the fourth hand. In the office, they are like 'passing baton' (mooncake btw) from the big boss then after many rounds, landed on my hands. I'm like okay. Because is free, people! Be grateful to be able to try different brands of mooncakes for free.

SHANGRI-LA HOTEL 香格里拉

This was gifted by hub's contractor. I like the colour of the box. Like Tiffany blue. Shall keep the bigger box for whatever purpose I want, be it decorative also can. Gifted them to our families and my mum also fancy the boxes and keeping them. Haha... we are really mother and daughter by blood. We like collecting things, potential hoarders (or maybe already is). 

HONG KONG BAY 香港香

Just because it was durian mooncakes and the cooler bag was nice, I bought them from my girlfriend who was helping her sister to sell. 4 mini ice cream mooncakes for $78 including my friend delivering to me. 

VERDICT: Honestly, it wasn't worthy. The overall taste was mediocre 👎. Not satisfying at all with the size and the snow skin taste a little rubbery. I need something that is chewy. The only saving grace will be the nice and big cooler bag that contained 4 mini mooncakes.

Like I say before, this is to support local business. Do our part whenever we can. 

STARBUCKS 星巴克

Was considering the longest time whether to buy for my parents and in-laws because of the packaging. I want the box. And was thinking that the carrier will be good for Lunar New Year visiting next year 2021 and that my parents don't need to get such a big one just to carry those mandarin oranges around. 

Alas... their tenant gifted them a set. I'm like... woohoo I can have the box now. Told my dad to keep the box only for me. The rest I don't want. The tenant works at Starbucks. Probably got staff discount, maybe? Ahem... I'm a Starbucks fan plus Gold Member by the way.

Their mooncakes were mini ones (8 of them) and was telling my dad that when you combined 2 mini ones, it gave you 1 normal size mooncake. So basically a box is like 4 normal size mooncakes. Tada... am I right about that? The traditional ones be like lotus paste with egg yolk as usual. But I'm glad it was mini ones as I won't have more than 1 slice of the usual size mooncake, depending on how you cut them (4 or 8 slices?). You will feel jelak when you go overboard. But that is why it usually goes with a cup of hot brewed tea.

TASTE TEST

Mediocre taste. The lotus paste was the usual sweet and smooth. But well-balanced with the egg yolk, single (Starbucks) or double (Shangri-la). Very subjective when it comes to sweetness. Some may feel okay but like my husband, too sweet for him. Really couldn't say much for the same type of traditional mooncakes, unless the fillings were different in order to compare. Like matcha paste in a traditional form, for example.

As for Teochew Yam Pastry, I really don't know how to appreciate it. I mean the yam was good and not very sweet. But other than its flaky crust, it didn't give a punch to the overall taste. Indeed it was a different experience than the usual traditional and snow skin. I won't buy it for myself and that is for sure.


So I guess everyone had a good time with families and friends on this occasion. Carrying lanterns, enjoying the full moon, eating a variety of mooncakes, pomelo and drinking brewed tea.

Happy Belated Mid-Autumn Festival!