How we save the stray cat

The story started on 21 July 2024 in the evening when I first saw the stray cat sitting at the abandoned sofa outside my neighbour's unit right opposite me. I was about to go out for my Sunday run and when I opened the door, we looked at one another before it ran away to hide. So I didn't bothered much because at least it isn't creating havoc at our corridor. Quite a good cat. For the next few days, it kept hiding under the sofa until 24 July 2024, the husband told me it looks weak to him. So I decided to submit a case via LifeSG app to get the help and it was assigned to NPark. 至少我没有见死不救.

Taken in the morning of 24 July 2024

Here comes the exciting part.

On the same day 24 July 2024, the husband asked me to come to the yard because that same stray cat appeared outside of our block parapet. Seriously, my first thought was to call any agencies that can help rescue or safely bring the cat away. Immediately googled the hotline to call.

Taken at 10pm on 24 July 2024

SPCA - I called and the guy told me they didn't have any manpower at the time because all their people went to attend to another distress cat that was locked in the unit for a week because the owner was warded. He told me to call NPark and given me the number to call immediately.

NPark - I called and the guy asked all the details and I even sent them video and photo as requested via NPark Whatsapp number. So after awhile, the guy called back and said his superior asked to observe for 2 hours (until midnight 12am like as if I don't need to work) and try to lure the cat out with food as there is an opening on the wall where it goes in and out. Fine... I don't have food but I got the husband to bring a bowl of water and put at the wall opening for the cat to drink at least. Even human also cannot go without water right?

I don't have the patience to see the cat at the parapet and what if anytime it falls down from the top floor. This is no joke even as they said cat has 9 lives. Chinese 7th month is coming. Please don't have creepy stuff please.

So I went to Facebook to search for help. I PM Yishun Cat Patrol and Orchid Vista RN but no response. Maybe because it was past 10pm already. Yishun Cat Patrol replied me the next day 25 Jul 2024 only to tell me their only elderly volunteer is sick and asked me to call SPCA.

We kept opening the door to see where it went to and guessing this cat is very sensitive to sound or scared because the moment we open our door to go to the cat, it slips back to the parapet. Sighz. We are not dog or cat owner so we don't know how to handle such situation and all we can do is to use our eyes to monitor the cat to ensure it is not in any danger. 

At 11+pm after many attempts to get the cat to safety, I called back NPark and told them the situation. They said will call me back shortly. And finally, NPark decided to activate their contractor to save the cat. But meanwhile have to monitor the cat till the contractor come. 

Before that, we even opened up the staircase door for it to go down to the ground floor. I seriously don't know how it comes up to our floor. Take the lift or someone abandon it at our floor? No tag on it so confirm stray cat. These are just my wild guesses. 

At 12am 25 July 2024, the cat changed another side of the parapet to avoid my view. So naughty this cat. Then it changes to another side again before I decided to give up monitoring at 12+am because I need to work the next day.

Staying out of my view, on the other side of parapet

But I cannot sleep until the cat was taken to safety so I woke up again only to see the contractor outside our doorstep and the husband filling up the acknowledgement form or something. The cat is finally safe and that's almost 1am already. I don't know where they will bring the cat to but at least not at the parapet anymore. Thank God!

From this incident, I realized that cats have such soft body or bones that can squeeze in and out of the wall opening that can be so small without any problem. *applause* Okay so that's my story. Have to document down because I wasn't gonna bother about the cat until this drama unfolds. I may be dramatic over this but Cat's life is also life.

Next time, any animals in distress and need rescue, please call NPark hotline: 1800-476-1600 or SPCA 6287-5355. Thank you for saving animals' lives. And if possible, bring the stray cats to shelters please, since now there are lesser stray dogs on the streets even though when they don't impose danger to passerby.