My Thoughts Again on Calling it Quit without Another Offer


The beginning of a lengthy, wordy post.

I previously wrote a post on misconceptions about humans quitting without a job. You can click HERE to find out what frustrates me back then. Now my turn to share my own experience as I came across an article of the same content and I thought why not share with you peeps because I did so a few times in my late 30s till 2.5 years ago, I landed in my current job. So let's start.

'MUST SECURE A JOB BEFORE CALLING IT QUIT' CONCEPT

On May 2003, I started my 1st full-time job as Junior Secretary with zero relevant work experience (previously worked various part-time jobs). I was 22 years old. Since then, I have never quit my job without securing a new one (by right that's the way). Why? Because I was taught that way by my parents. I actually felt the pressure back then because the mentality was: I will get nagged by my parents if I never work and always stay at home do nothing. Probably they meant good because as youngsters, we need to grow up, be independent and earn our own money to survive. Thank you Dad and Mum! Much appreciated. But still the pressure despite knowing the goods so every time when I decided to call it quit, I will search for job, go interviews till a letter of offer is signed with a new company (that is by right the way). I also want my own money instead of asking from my parents as I want to hang out with friends too (back then a clubber).

The old fashion way back then was to go as many job agencies as possible at Jurong East, register with them and wait for interview calls (this method of job search still exists). Or buy newspapers, search from those job advertisements and go straight down to the office for interviews. Not like now, just a few clicks away on your mobile phone and happily wait for calls in the comfort of your home (or anywhere you are).

Such life goes on through my 20s to early 30s, even when I worked full-time and studied part-time for my Diploma and Degree. I'm actually quite proud of myself both these times even though my grades were average (got As lah but not as many as my Bs and Cs). Earn those money to pay for my own studies plus juggling with assignments and tests/exams. Phew... glad I got through it and thus love challenging myself since then. That brings out the willpower in me to do what I like.

THE 1ST TIME

In 2017, I decided that I could slow down my pace already because we paid off the HDB loan of our flat (I mean my husband and I's). We would continue to work but no need to worry about the monthly loan to pay HDB through CPF because you never work, no CPF to pay for the flat. So now we are loan-free and can start saving up for our retirement and also do investment.

This was my 1st time quitting without a new job and it lasted for a month before I landed on a contract job with a pay cut of $700 as compared to my previous job. Thank God for my qualification, if not it would be even lower salary. Many of my friends advised me during that time not to do so, too risky, loss of income and no job security with a contract job and etc. I know the consequences and I'm scared too because what if I can't find a job, plus it was the 1st time I'm doing it so not sure how it would turn out. All those thoughts aside and I still went ahead. I'm not so easily persuaded on things I'm determined to do. Stubborn Taurus I am.

So how did it go for the 1st time?

After I quit, I'm felt so relieved because of the pressure from my previous work and I couldn't be more happy to enjoy an extra happy birthday that year. The rest of my time were spent with family and friends while on job search. Doing my own stuff like searching and photo-taking of mural arts in my neighbourhood and go for a good swim at SAFRA when the weather permits, a few to name.

Then when I got on my new job, I still lived my life as usual with that pay-cut salary although I couldn't save as much as I did previously. And I don't have to worry like those perm staff over on appraisal and etc. Made friends with the 90s kids and be amazed by their attitude towards work and play. So different that sometimes can clash (eg. arguments). And I'm quite chilled with my 6 months contract because even if they didn't renew my contract, I would still go for another contract job. Also depends if they are in need of staff. Eventually, I got renewed multiple times up to late 2019 when I decided to call it quit once again after 2.5 years.

THE 2ND TIME

I remembered it was end November when I'm once again a free human for 2 months, longer than the 1st time. Honestly I just felt that my work environment was unhealthy and played favoritism, having to adjust but still didn't work, so I left immediately! Not worth my time and effort. The grass is greener on the other side.

And how did it go for the 2nd time?

Despite the above, I found more time to spend with my parents, met up with ex colleagues, did silly Youtube videos, brought Mister and myself for a short holiday after Christmas. And more time to explore stuffs I like a.k.a ME TIME while on job search.

I actually think I sent out CVs without looking at whether it is a contract and permanent job because I just sent whichever fits the bill. I always keep an open mind with whatever comes. For those unemployed humans who are still picky over a perm or contract jobs or low salary, then just wait your savings to be zero out. And those who are worried not securing another job, then let the toxic work environment (maybe) to deplete you mentally and emotionally. There is a saying: got salary better than nothing. And like investment, no risk no gain.

Alas... ended up with a permanent job just before Covid hits hard worldwide and also during Lunar New Year period. Blessing in disguise because this stupid pandemic went on for almost 3 years. I'm still on this job right now so not sure if there will be a 3rd time.

HOW TO PREP YOURSELF MENTALLY & EMOTIONALLY* :
  • Make sure you have saving of at least 3 months (or more) to fall back on;
  • Make sure you don't have big ticket items or loans or debts to pay especially in cash;
  • Make sure you are comfortable with not working for awhile as your savings will deplete;
  • Make sure you earn some monies on your free time like do online surveys etc;
  • Make sure you list out stuff which you don't get to do when employed;
  • Make sure you filter those negativities coming from anyone because is none of their biz;
  • Make sure you exercise because you may put on weight if you lepak at home;
  • Make sure you don't stop your job search too.
*The above is applicable for singles and couples with no kids.

When you feel like doing it, just do so if you are comfortable with the idea. 活在当下. Don't look back and regret not doing it. YOLO You only live ONCE! Also for the sake of your mental health. We live in a fast-pace environment so you may feel stress at times with too many commitments (maybe) so taking a break IS NOT WRONG. Having more ME TIME IS NOT WRONG TOO

Perks for couples with no kids: financially won't be so tight (so long as you are not ambitious in doing big or materialistic with luxury life). Because we only need to pay for our monthly dues, necessities and care for our family. A decent holidays once or twice a year. And having one another (your other half) is a blessing and good enough. Oh and few good friends.

Some said for married couples, they have their spouses to fall back on. Excuse me, why see us no up? We are independent women. And I have my own savings (a must before you think of quitting) that can tide me for months (in case I'm still on job search). Savings is important and only realized that in my late 20s after years of nagging from my mum. Thank you for your nags because it pays off now. And try to be frugal when needed.

Finally I have said my piece and thank you for your time in reading this wordy post. Didn't know there are others out there who did the same thing like me. This is a choice, not by force. Not encouraging you to do it but when you need to give yourself a break, go for it. But be sure you have something to fall back on and that you are comfortable with that arrangement. Cheers.


Some relevant posts for reference:
*Disclaimer: The post is based on writer's own experience and may not fit everyone. No right or wrong doing it. And writer's not representing anyone but herself.