Sharing My Dad's Cooking Creation at 74


I can't expect elderly to know plating before photo taking of their home-cooking, at least for my dad. But with him every once awhile sending his food photos, it at least ensures myself that he is at a good state of mind despite being at 74 years old. I told him before to send photos every time he cooks something unique or whatever they learn from tv shows. Keep them busy instead of doing nothing at home because I'm so afraid of dementia or Alzheimer's disease goes looking for them, especially with their age. So now let's enjoy his cooking even when it isn't as aesthetic like food bloggers.

FRIED NOODLES WITH FOO JOOK 腐竹


This Foo Jook dish, which my mum used to cook with Tang Hoon, looks so thick here. My old man said he bought it for $2/100grams and was from Hong Kong. Nope too thick. I remember having it thinner. It will be too thick to bite or even chew it. He needs to go and find from other stalls and don't just go for something cheap. They are very thrifty and that is why.

WHITE WINE CHICKEN SOUP 白酒鸡汤


Easily cooked with black fungus, red dates, goji berries, chicken meat and mushroom. When it is almost done, pour in rice wine. He didn't pour a lot of rice wine, thinking that my brother is coming over for lunch. It tasted a little bland. But I like because I don't want them to have too sweet or too salty food with their age. Who likes to see a doctor, right? Oh and I forgotten where he learnt this from but mostly likely from tv shows or newspaper articles. 

TOMATO OMELETTE


Because we had Tomato Omelette in Tokyo so I suggested to try cooking at home. Expectation vs Reality. Probably I should one day show him how the real Tomato Omelette is cooked. What he did was more like Minced Omelette. Hahaha...

ROJAK


I was sponsored a bag of Prima Taste Complete Sauces and having tried their Rojak Sauce before, I gave it to my old man to make at home. His ingredients include red apples, dough fritters, tau kwa and beansprouts. Told him this can be used over a few times so don't waste it at one go.

DRIED APRICOT GOJI DRINK


Okay this one he learnt from tv show. The benefits of this drink is good for the heart, antioxidants, low blood pressure and prevent constipation. Goji berries helps with the liver detox and for our eyes too. Very easy to boil with dried apricots and goji berries. Shall try it one day myself.

TEOCHEW MINCED PORK NOODLES


On Fridays, our family (even for me now) will chillax and have something else like one meal dish. If not it will be so boring and tired having to cook a few dishes everyday for every meal. Here, my old man used Mee Pok and added whatever they fancy. We love it this way since young. Simple and contented meal.

HOMECOOKED HOKKIEN MEE


More like his version of Dry Hokkien Mee. Asked him why the beehoon is beyond recognition. He blamed it on the beehoon brand. Breaks too easily during the fry. Need to get him a pack of Prima Taste Complete Sauce for Hokkien Mee. Or probably I cook for them.

And recently I brought a pack of pork lard for him to use during cooking. Yes I understand high cholesterol and I have told him to use once awhile only. Maybe the oil for cooking but not the lard. But that's the essence of everything. No matter how old you are, take it a little to satisfy cravings once awhile will do.

You can follow the Instagram Page that I created just for his cooking at @chansfamilykitchen to keep up with his cooking. Mostly once awhile posting because not always he has that creative mind. Hahaha.... And in case you miss the previous post of his cooking, click here to refresh your memory. Cheers.