Discover Our Neighbourhood: Tiong Bahru and Tanglin Halt | Day Out with the Folks

Recently took a day off to explore Tiong Bahru while waiting for my parents to reach my uncle's place. It has been a long time since I came by this charming place that is filled with history, architecture and culture vibes. Thank you for the sunny weather with the deep blue sky and white clouds that made capturing every sight worth it.

Pre-War Flats at Kim Cheng Street

One of the oldest housing estate in Singapore, these pre-war flats in Tiong Bahru introduces to the Asian population a modernized living concept thus a perfect model of Singapore's early public housing estate. 

4-Storey Flat - Block 3 Tiong Bahru Road

Do you know there are 20 blocks of pre-war flats and 36 units of shophouses conserved to keep Tiong Bahru's identity and charm for the present and future generations? My video (at the end of this post) will bring you around to see more of these pre-war flats.

A mix of old and new developments

⬇️ Here is my grandparents' now uncle's 3-rooms flat with 1 toilet at Taman Ho Swee (HDB later part came out with this name according to my dad), nothing much changed in the interiors from my knowledge staying there in the 80s before shifting to Jurong as I was taken care of by my paternal grandparents. They moved here in mid-1963 so what you are seeing now is a half-a-century-old flat.

I think my Uncle's place is a retro/vintage flat that literally describes a lot about the old days. There used to have the old school television that has little doors to open and close, old fridge that lasted decades but both really has to go because too old to keep up with the current technology world.

Rediffusion went off air in 2012 sadly so that iconic radio set retired. I remember those days they collect the subscription fee door to door (for subscribers). And there were both English and Chinese channel. Missed those ghosts stories at night and Christmas songs during that festive period (although we still get to hear it now too). Oh I heard it went online in 2013 but not sure about now.

Main Entrance Door

Floor Tiles

Altar with Display Cabinet

Old School Sockets/Plugs

Cooking Stove and Washing Area

Old School Kitchen Area

Old Cabinets

⬇️ My Uncle was saying that the construction site is for upcoming BTO flats that will eventually block the current view which you see in the photos below. So cherish the view now because my childhood memories here were just so memorable, which the kids these days won't get to experience.

View from the back of the flat

View from the back of the flat

After visiting my Uncle, went out with my folks to Tanglin Halt which is making way for new developments in years to come. From our short walk around the hood, can see that most residents and shop owners have moved out. And this particular old-school provision shop is still open. So nostalgic because is just my childhood (although I don't stay at Tanglin Halt). Saw some retro shop signboards and also the sturdy palm tree. Watch my video at the end of this post to find out what shops am I referring to.

Palm Trees everywhere

Tanglin Halt Food Centre and Market?

Back of the Shophouses

The Red and White Flats

HDB Queensway Branch Office

Residential Estate at Tanglin Halt

My dad has too many places to visit on his bucket list. Have to take time to fulfill them one by one. So stay tuned for our day out together because I doubt many people will have the time to go explore their own country like my dad does. I am just documenting down for my memory's sake and also for younger generations to see if they happen to search online for projects.

My video that day is already up on my Youtube Channel so watch now from the link below. Enjoy!


Disclaimer: Any use of contents, photos, and videos from this blog must seek permission/authorization from the writer, Ms Stella Chen via email at iamstellachen@ymail.com. Legal actions will be taken if content, photos, and videos are taken out of context in any media platforms or prints or in any form.