2 Traditions of Lunar New Year that I Will Continue Doing

What if one day you can't write properly or lose your phone which you rely on most of the time to do your stuff, good luck to you. Some will say they will be 'handicapped' without their phone.

Or maybe you don't even remember the person's phone number because it is all stored in your phone and you just need to speed dial. At least I remember my husband's number, my folks' home number, my sis-in law's home number, my aunt and uncle's home number. A few to name.

Recently triggered by conversations of others especially on Lunar New Year traditions. Some I believe in keeping, some I think can flexible. I don't care if you think I'm having that old fashioned mindset. At least these 2 traditions I believe firmly all these while after I got married that I wanna keep till my last breath. And I'm not tired of doing it because is a once a year thing.

1. Giving Out Red Packets a.k.a Ang Baos


We have to go thru the hassle of queuing at banks just to change new notes for these 15 days. And even when you make reservations online, it doesn't mean you no need to queue. So troublesome, right?

But that doesn't mean we should replace it with electronic gifts or e-ang baos too. Come on this is just once a year thingy and not all year long. It won't cause you too much trouble. I talk from my experience after I got married and have to give ang baos. No big deal, alright? 

Why do we have red packets to give? 吉利好彩头. It doesn't matter how much the value inside but just auspicious thing to do in the once a year festive season.

If you find giving ang baos and queuing for new notes are such a hassle, then Christmas is another hassle too. Search for presents, wrap the presents, go house party with big bag small bag 大小包. Not troublesome meh? Very environmental friendly meh? You go give e-gifts too lor since there are e-vouchers, e-gift cards and so on. 不要跟我讲废话. To be honest, I still prefer physical presents or gifts and I stand firm on that. You need to strike a balance between physical and digital.

Tips:
  1. If you are so lazy to queue or wait at the bank for new notes, one shot change more and balance one keep for the following year's usage. I do that everytime. And I don't go returning to the banks those new notes. I save my time and the environment.
  2. Or if you think your cash flow is stucked with these new notes, you can also use it for daily use right? My mum will use them when needed after Lunar New Year. So that she don't need go ATM withdraw. So simple.
  3. Or like my colleague mentioned, be it new or old notes, it is still money so you want you take it or leave it. I totally agree with it. Old or dirtied notes also SGD right? 包给你就拿. And say thank you 恭喜发财.
  4. Or you don't go too much house visits or host too much people and you save the ang baos.
But the ang baos for grandparents and your parents must not save at all. Must give! How much all depends on your ability. Do within your means.

2. Writing of Greeting Cards


I'm not sure how you peeps feel about this but before I got married, writing of greeting cards has been a norm in my family since young. Usually my folks will go get the cards and ask me and my bro to write our names after they write the greetings or tell us what to write and we do it (usually me). Not very into this until I got married. I don't know why and so since then, I will go pick my greeting cards for Lunar New Year and Christmas, get the addresses from my folks, write and send them on my own.

Now everyone go for text greetings, forwarding different kinds of images or festive messages to one another. Well... smart nation so this is so convenience. But lack of personal touch.

Got once I was talking to the office auntie about me getting greeting cards and she said now not trending liao write greeting cards. Just call up whoever you want will do. Excuse me, this is trending meh? Yes I do agree this is the next best thing if you are not visiting them. But I don't see how this is trending yo. It is normal. I see my dad does that every morning on the 1st of Lunar New Year.

Tips:
  1. Be more creative and do up your own greeting text or image. Be it a family photo, couple photo or even your decorations. Don't just blindly forward those greeting messages and sometimes I receive double or triple or more times the same message.
  2. My mum said the greeting cards you received can be used as home decorations. Can your text messages use to deco your home? Nope. Unless you go print it out lor. But I doubt you would because either you are lazy or find it stupid.
  3. You can keep them after the festive seasons for memories. You won't know how one day you miss that person writing to you (especially when they are gone).

Recently I went in search for greeting cards and it was a little hard to find unless you go Popular Bookstores to get (not sure they still sell). I was a little pissed off until I found them at a small bookstore at Raffles Place (walking around during lunchtime). Bless that shop. Next time maybe can handmade your greeting cards if they aren't selling anymore.

Seriously if everyone thinks that electronic ang baos or gifts are trending, why are the shops still selling physical red packets or ang baos of different designs? If you still can sell ang baos, why not the greeting cards for Lunar New Year or even Christmas? 

I personally love buying those convenience pack of 5 or 6 cards for $2+ to $3+. Their designs may be old fashion but it doesn't lack that festive mood nor sloppy. And I don't need to crack my brain on picking individually which costs a little more. What is more important, the personal touch a.k.a handwritten greetings.

To me, there is nothing wrong about going digital and also saving the environment by reducing paper usage because we have to move forward. But I just feel that this is losing the most basic, personal touch. You know every time I send out those text or image greetings, I send for the sake of sending because everyone is sending and it will be rude if you don't at least reply or send something. This is my true feelings. Unless I create my own image greetings, which still isn't enough to fill up the personal touch. At least when I write, I will think of what to write like those with kids must write 学业进步 快高长大, working adults 步步高升, elderly ones 身体健康, entire family 出入平安 and so on. Same for Christmas.


Anyway, I will stand firm on what I believe and will continue to do it. I rather be old fashioned than handicapped.

You can continue whatever you believe in. Individual preference.