[RECIPE] Japanese Cheesecake


Mister loves Japanese Cheesecake after he was offered a slice from his ex-colleague few years back. And that was a store bought Cheesecake. And many times he requested me to bake one but because our oven decided to die on us, I never fulfilled this wish of his until this year 2020, during the pandemic. He bought me a new oven as birthday present and so here comes my duty as a wife.

I found this recipe from Singapore Foodie and I attempted thrice to get 3 different outcomes. The latter was much successful one and am very pleased.
.
.
.
Yield: 8 slices

Ingredients (1):
250g cream cheese
200ml fresh milk
120g butter
(Note: All at room temperature)

Ingredients (2):
5 egg yolks
60g plain flour
30g corn flour
(Note: Sifted both flours)

Ingredients (3):
5 egg whites
100g sugar
1/2 tsp Tartar powder
(Note: Used fine sugar, whichever available at home)

Method:

1. Preheat oven at 130 deg Celsius for at least 10 mins.

2. Boil Ingredients (1) in a small pot and keep stirring till a smooth consistency.

3. Let Ingredients (1) to cool down after it is done.

4. Once Ingredients (1) is cooled down (but still a little warm), add in both flours in batches thru sifting. Whisk it till you see no lumps of flour and in smooth consistency. Also while add flours, add egg yolks 1 at a time and whisk well.

5. Start whisking egg whites on your mixer. Add in sugar by batches and also the tartar powder when also stiff peak.

6. Add in the meringue in 3 batches into Ingredients (1) that has been added with Ingredients (2). Fold in one direction until smooth.

7. Wrap the outer layer of cake pan with aluminium foil.

8. Once done, pour into a 8-inch cake pan and tap on the kitchen top to release the air bubbles.

9. Put the cake pan on oven tray (the black one) and pour in water for a water bath baking in the oven.

10. Bake for 90 minutes at 130 deg Celsius.

11. Once done, let it cool before removing.


PREPARATION FOR INGREDIENTS (1)

You may want to try this method on boiling of Ingredients (1). Over the stove, keep stirring the cream cheese, butter and milk in the pot till melt. So long as all ingredients melt, turn off the heat and continue stirring using the remaining heat. Why did I do so? Ingredients (1) will not be too hot and can cool down faster while Ingredients (2) is in the making. 

WRAP THE CAKE PAN


As seen in the photo above, this is how you wrapped up the outer layer of the cake pan. And I did not put any baking sheets to the inner pan. But it was easy to remove without cracking the cake.



This recipe from Singapore Foodie did not ask for water bath but I did it to see what is the outcome. And I'm glad to do so because it turns out what I wanted. And I actually sift the flours twice. Haha...

Let me show you the outcome on my 1st attempt and you will understand. It turned out good and fluffy but the appearance is not of a cheesecake.



Then on my 2nd attempt, I put chocolate and it was so heavy in taste. Not good. Appearance just like the 1st attempt.



Now I finally realized that baking takes a lot of patience and time. I am an impatient person but I tried to be on the 3rd attempt. Okay can. I will be patient if I want my bakes to turn out good.

Thank you!