Support Local | Support Singapore Products!

According to a study back in 2017 (click on the link), only 12.5% of Singapore population will choose our local brands and compared to other countries, Singapore was at the lowest. Ya all those changing patterns of consumers in Asia and et cetera. Very xia suay okay when Singaporeans don't really support Singaporean brands. Always support other foreign brands. Don't like that ya! Though I'm guilty of that too.

Start or continue supporting Singapore brands. Don't be too dependent on other countries for all the things. Singapore has to be self-sufficing (click on the link) so that if there is any disruption to our supply chain (touch wood), we still have local brands/products to fall back on. Also if we are too dependent on one place for raw materials, any disruptions will affect us drastically. Should give chances for other places for raw materials. Don't just make one place richer, share them with others. So that the gap can close up between the rich and the poor. So please my dear Singapore, source for more alternatives from different places or do it locally if allowed. In turn, we are creating job opportunities for Singaporeans. Not easy thingy but if you have the heart to do so, you can. Get them grants from our government with your realistic and doable proposal. Jia you!

Let's start from necessities, food and beverages. Food and beverages is a need, not a want. Everybody need them for survival and the strength to work in order to bring home the bacon.

There are actually farms in Singapore (click on the link) where you can get fresh and locally grown produces. Our Government should really look into more of this area after this pandemic, or even now. You see how fearful Singaporeans are when Malaysia announced the lockdown last month (March 18). Panic buying and hoarders. Actually you can say we are kiasu or kiasi but think about this, what if it really happens? Whatever we do, we must have a backup plan right? You know like companies having those BCP (business contingency plan) in case of emergency. So Preventive is better than Corrective, right? BUT.... I NEVER ENCOURAGE HOARDING BECAUSE I ALSO CAN'T GET WHAT I NEED BECAUSE OF THESE HOARDERS. BUY WHAT YOU NEED! BECAUSE SINGAPORE GOT OWN PRODUCTION OF SOME ESSENTIALS. DON'T ANYHOW HOARD I'M TELLING YOU.

So now let me list down those I personally support and also examples what you can do with them. Thank me later because my main purpose is for all of you to support local brands and their products. 

1) TIGER BEER

Cheers. Is Tiger time!

Who doesn't know this brand of beer that has been around for decades? Whenever I hang out with friends, this is my to-go unless there isn't in the menu. They have their own brewery in Singapore. Now that all entertainment scenes are closing till 4 May 2020 or later, buy and drink them at home with your family for leisure. No friends ya because not asking you to bottoms up with anyone. You are supposed to only hang out with the members of your household. Drink responsibly. At least for a month, no nuisance on the street. Yahooo...



2) PRIMA TASTE

They have a variety of cooking sauces, ready-meals, and even HOTPOT SOUP BASE! Who cares about HDL now? My recommendation will be their Laksa hotpot soup base. Hosted my friends for hotpot over at my place twice and they love this soup base too. And also their non-fried noodles which the husband loves.

So with this Circuit Breaker kicking in for a month, you can't go elsewhere for your hotpot crave, do it at the comfort of your home. Very easy right? All you need is to take out your hotpot, plug and on the switch, pour in the soup base and water, then let it boil. And you are done. Buy their non-fried noodles to go with which is superb nice.

Remember don't go out of your house ya. Just savour at home.




3) SENG CHOON

Very common sight in supermarkets. And during the panic buys, eggs are the top 3 items that Singaporeans will 'snatch' up. Luckily, we have local provision of eggs. There are other like Chew's Eggs but I think the commonly known one will be Seng Choon. Support them also because is LOCAL.

By the way, how I manage to get this? The whole section is empty except a few trays of this carrot eggs. You tell me angry or not? Instead of the fresh eggs, I have to suck it up and get this instead. Ok can. 好过没有. And I just want 一盒 nia. 

Read about their news here to understand the operations behind Seng Choon Egg Farm: https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/cnainsider/inside-high-tech-operation-singapore-largest-egg-farm-seng-choon-11396776





4) TAI HUA

The old brand with decade long history since it started. Everyone will be familiar with this brand. For those SAHM (stay at home mum) or elderly, your kitchen should have them for seasoning right? Or maybe some other brands like Tiger brand. They have a range of soy sauces, braising sauces to table condiments. Use them for your cooking like stir-fry veggies, black carrot cake (WOW!) and so on. I guess many who don't know how to cook will soon be able to in this one month of Circuit Breaker. 

I usually buy the small bottle because I don't know how long it will take me to finish. I advocate reducing food wastage yo. And support local brands. 





5) SUNSHINE BREAD

Unknowingly, I will always pick up their loaf of bread. There are other brands but just don't know why I'm attracted to Sunshine instead. I have not been having white bread for a long time and always go for wholemeal, either Ultra Fine or Extra Fine. One of my friend said their bread is a little dry. But I actually don't find it or maybe I'm not too particular. Grateful for being able to get our own supply locally because they have their own production line in Singapore.

So I intend to make my own sandwiches, make French toast, croutons for my salad, makeshift pizza. But I can only use my airfryer to do any of those mentioned because I don't have an oven. Now too last minute go buy. So never mind. Airfryer can do the trick. Been with me since 2014.




6) MYOJO

Our childhood brand of instant noodles, Chicken Tanmen was the 1st flavour introduced to me and my bro when we were young. Since then, they come out with lots of different flavours. I love their abalone flavour and beehoon. You can add on to the noodles with egg or vegetables. Usually I try to add only half a pack of their seasoning to reduce the MSG intake. 

Another way is boil the noodles and then whip up a fried noodles without the seasoning. Then don't need to drop hair liao. Or you can use it for home-made Army Stew. Idea right?

Shoutout to those instant noodles hoarders! The more you hoard and not having it in a week, be prepared to get that stench when you open it. We call it the 臭油味. Good luck Hoarders!




7) VITAGEN

Childhood brand again. Okay don't eat too much and kenna indigestion when staying at home. If kenna, have a bottle of Vitagen. Or yoghurt also can. I don't know why but I choose Vitagen over Yakult. Yakult has this siap siap after taste. Vitagen, some say too sweet. I find it alright though. Okay that is not the point. Vitagen more local mah. I have been drinking Vitagen since young. So like stuck with it till date so old liao still drinking. Sometimes you constipate, you drink one bottle. Either after that you poo or the next day all come out. If next day, no come out, please consult a doctor because is your body constitution go haywire. Or save money. Drink lots of water to flush it out. Good idea? S for Stella. V for Vitagen.



8) TAU KWA AND CHINESE SAUSAGES

Okay some local products. You see some you also don't know is Product of Singapore right? We tend to see or hear much popular brand names and neglect some others. Who is guilty of that? *raise my hands*

Cool. I gonna make stinky tofu with them tau kwa. Or make a pot of braised food. Either way works. The sausage is for snack time. Put in the airfryer and done. Easy Peasy.


Initially we bought their minced garlic and onions for cooking. Thereafter we got their chilli sauces. Mister loves spicy so generally the ones in this photo are his favourite. He makes his own concoction of chilli sauce with them. And is definitely nice. You need to spice up your life during this period. *get the pun* Another product of Singapore, people. 

I will get criticize for this post (maybe) but I don't care because I know my stand.

I know we are too dependent on others for raw materials. If not how do we get all these local products done here in our country, right? That is why I say in the beginning that Singapore should open up to more options. Give it some thoughts because only when such unfortunate things happen then we get to see what our country is lacking. Really... don't just throw me a verdict on what I'm trying to bring upon. It is for the benefits of all of us. I don't want a spike on local Covid-19 cases. I want a spike on entrepreneurship by Singaporeans, that will see us on the international stage though we already have but there can be more than what we have right now. We don't have natural resources but we have human resources. Get it? So many brainy out there but never optimize. Commodity is the thing. Bear that in mind. Venture from there. 

Okay folks, enough of my ranting. Now please take the opportunity to reconnect with your family members during this one month. Probably some never communicate much back at home. So bond together. Plus remember to exercise too. Staying at home is not asking you to do nothing but work only hor. If not one month later you become one fat person. I think all of us will be richer after one month, unless you keep on going for online shopping. If not, is a good time to save up money too. Because the road ahead is unpredictable. So always be prepared for any unforeseen circumstances. Yes you can kiasu or kiasi in this area. Not that HOARDING PART, mind you. From what I have listed above, we at least won't starve to death. Most to most, we order food delivery. But don't hoard. Last warning.

Oh ya one last thing. Support our homegrown fashion brands, bakeries and more. They are the reasons why we can be proud of calling them our Singapore brands. Entrepreneurship in Singapore. And conserve our Singlish. Steady lah!

Hereby wishing everyone well and our country can get through this tough time. Stay at home and I love my country, Singapore.



*PS: I'm not sponsored for any of the items I mentioned above. I use my hard earned money to buy them. And the above is my personal opinions and either you take it or leave it. Lastly bear with those not so nice food photos. I just take for fun. Thanks and bye.