[RECIPE] Glutinous Rice a.k.a Sticky Rice


I'm so glad that I made a breakthrough in my amateur cooking journey by doing something different than usual. If you have followed my cooking platform, @thelengguskitchen on Instagram, you might find my usual cooking were either fried rice or noodles. Very boring right? I did made something different when I was on Keto diet (now on and off observing the diet) and also when I am clearing the fridge.

Not sure why I wanna learn this Lo Mai Fan a.k.a Glutinous Rice/Chinese Sticky Rice. Probably because buying those ready ones can be costly if having it every week. But if I utilize what I already have at home plus fresh meat and glutinous rice, probably cheaper to mass produce for own consumption.

I have modified the recipe with Mister's input and mine so you can alter it accordingly like I do.

Yield: 5 to 6 packs


Chicken Marinade:
  • 260g to 300g Chicken Fillet
  • 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Shaoxing Hua Tiao Wine
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp 5 Spice Powder
  • 1 tbsp very finely chopped ginger
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
Note: I leave it overnight.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Thai Glutinous Rice, soak for 2 hours
  • 1 cup Chinese mushrooms, soak and cut to strips
  • 1 cup dried shrimps, soak and drain
  • 1-2 Chinese Sausage, peel the skin and slice
Handling of the Rice:
  • After soaking the rice, wash thoroughly to rid the 'rice' smell.
  • Once done, mix well with 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce and 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce (if you don't want the rice to appear too dark in colour). Or omit Dark Soy Sauce.
  • Add fried shallots and mix well.

Method:
  1. Heat the wok, add 1 to 2 tbsp of oil.
  2. Fry the mushrooms till about 70% cooked and set aside.
  3. Fry the dried shrimps till fragrance. Set aside.
  4. Fry the sliced sausages but not till charred.
  5. Mix the fried ingredients together.
  6. Fry the glutinous rice for a minute or two.
  7. Once done, pour into the the fried ingredients and mix well.
  8. Get ready 2 layers of baking/parchment papers to wrap the Lo Mai Fan mixture and kitchen strings to tie up (you can get it at Phoon Huat).
  9. I use a small bowl to gauge the amount for each pack. Bottom section Lo Mai Fan, middle section the marinated chicken, top section Lo Mai Fan.
  10. I use Pressure Cooker to steam for 90 mins or till soft under High Pressure.

If you make more, try storing in the freezer and when needed, you simply just thaw and steam for consumption. It is that easy! Make sure the rice grains are cooked and soft.


I seriously need to do better on the wrapping. Ugly looking appearance but tastes good. Will try doing again, maybe BBQ Rice a.k.a Fan Choi (Mister's fav) or even Bak Zhang a.k.a Dumplings. Step by step, I should be able to master more stuff. Provided I'm not lazy. Hehehe... cheers!