Product Review | Cuisinart Compact Airfryer - Temp and Time

First came across this American brand airfryer through my bestie who has been using the bigger version (mine a 9L and hers 17L). I found it quite unique and cool because it was entirely metal and silver in colour. Then the 2nd time was in a video of a US Youtuber. Don't need a 3rd time, I bought it via Qoo10 at $200+. You know it took me probably few months to figure out which airfryer to get because it was time to retire my 6 years old Philips Airfryer. So greasy.

Why did I decided on this multi-function airfryer cum oven? Because if one day my oven decided to die on me, I still have Cuisinart as spare for the time being to bake. Or I can bake more with the help of 2 ovens. Just probably different temperature between the two.

Actually it occupied more space than my old Philips Airfryer, even if it was in compact size (I mean my new Cuisinart). 

THE AIRFRY BASKET CAN HOLD 4 SLICES OF BREAD

THE PLUG
Hey people. Not sure if it is just me but if they never provide a 3-pin plug, go get it. Quite cheap, I got mine for a dollar. Fits and works well. I'm clueless about such plug thingy but I consulted my husband and went to buy immediately to test out.
.
.
.
PROS AND CONS
Cuisinart has two sizes for this product and I got a compact size which just slightly bigger than my old Philips airfryer. And it worked not just an airfryer but also a toaster and oven. All in one. That is why my bestie bought it because she didn't need to have so many appliances in the kitchen and just one of this (hers the bigger version) to handle a few function. Guess what? I have 2 ovens to use in the kitchen now.

And Cuisinart is easy to wash. You just have to take out the baking tray and airfry basket, wash and air it and you are done. By the way, the baking tray must be put in the airfryer to hold the basket, just in case you don't know. 

The downside would be the entire appliance in metal form and it was so hot after awhile of using. So you really must have a pair of oven gloves. Or at least use a kitchen cloth to take out the tray or basket. 

Also mine was quite noisy during use at times, probably depends on which function you are using. Other times, kind of quiet. 

Also best if you can lay aluminium foil on the baking tray before using because I realized after using a few times, the oil stain remained on the stainless steel tray and couldn't removed. And remember to change once awhile. Much easier to lay the foil than my previous airfryer.

.
.
.
I did a blog post in 2015 on Guide on Airfryer Cooking - Temperature and Time which was for Philips Airfryer. Now I'm gonna do it for Cuisinart Airfryer cum Oven. 

BAKE FUNCTION

1. CHOCOLATE CHIPS MUFFINS

My first attempt on baking muffins and I couldn't believe I actually made it.

The temperature and timing in the recipe asked for 220 ℃ for 7 minutes and then down to 180 ℃ for 15-20 minutes. And nope, it didn't worked on Cuisinart. 




After the first 7 minutes at 220℃, I turned it down to 150℃ for 7 minutes instead. And there goes my 1st batch of muffins looking so charred but edible. Didn't manage to save its appearance.

With a little knowledge of baking, I tuned down the temp and time to 180℃ for 15 minutes. And yes it worked better now for my 2nd batch of muffins. Not charred but brown.
I am still experimenting on whether I should preheat Cuisinart oven like I always do for normal oven. It really heat up so fast.

Also for the recipe, I reduced the amount of sugar to 160g, which I thought we could further reduce to maybe 140-150g. Why? Because of the semi-sweet chocolate chips. And I reduced the chocolate chips from 2 cups to 1 cup. It was good enough for me thou.

Yield: 14 muffins
Temp and Timing: 180℃ for 15 minutes

Recipe adapted from http://thedomesticgoddesswannabe.com/2015/12/chocolate-chip-muffins/

2. SAUSAGE CHEESE TOAST

Made that for breakfast which was hassle-free when I got only that little time at home before heading out for work.

The loaf of bread was made using my bread maker with the available flours at home. Convenience right? Just top with shredded cheese and sausages. Or whatever toppings you want for your toast that requires cooking (or melting, whichever).

Temp and Timing: 180℃ for 4-5 minutes


WARM FUNCTION

3. WARM UP SHAKE SHACK BURGER AND FRIES

Travelled back from Jewel to Yishun, for sure the food went cold (expected). Turn on the Warm function and get them going for the husband to eat. I think soon my microwave oven will be redundant. The fries will just be warm to eat but not crispy like when we first bought it. Unless you wanna waste your electricity twice, one for burger and another for fries. Change to Airfry for fries, 180° for 5 minutes.

Temp and Timing: 180° for 8-10 minutes

AIRFRY FUNCTION

4. IKEA MEATBALL PORRIDGE

Because the meatballs were frozen type, no need thawing and went straight into the airfryer, before putting into the ricecooker for porridge cooking. Remember to turn to Airfry function before you start. Oh and watch a cooking video on my Youtube channel and see how my ricecooker porridge was done.


Temp and Timing: 180° for 10 minutes (IKEA Meatballs)

5. DOUGH FRITTERS FOR PORRIDGE

Wish I know how to make my own dough fritters. Anyway, you might not be having the fritters right away (unless you buy after cooking) so as time flies, the fritters soften and lost its crispiness. What you do is just throw them into the airfryer and get it done. Try not to put too long, 4-5 minutes will do.

Temp and Timing: 180° for 5 minutes

TOAST FUNCTION

6. TOAST BREAD WITH EGGS & AVOCADO

Choose from Light, Medium to Dark for your toast (the colour tone). I think Medium is good enuff for me. No need to worry about the temperature or timing. Just set to Toast function and leave it to Cuisinart to do the job. Create your own style of toast for your breakfast. Can never go wrong.

Temp and Timing: Toast Mode + Medium


7. BLUEBERRY JAM TOAST

Not sure about you but I still preferred a Medium. I like a little more brown. The looks of it seems like it had never been toasted.

Temp and Timing: Toast function + Light




8. GARLIC TOAST AND CHEESE TOAST

Oh... tried and tested. No need Bake function to get my Cheese toast done. I can also use Toast function too. How flexible it is thou. Enjoyed playing around with the different function.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is whether the temperature affects the colour tone of the Toast (Light, Medium or Dark). It seems to play a part thou. Let's try it a few more times.

Temp and Timing: Toast function + Medium


As usual, just play around with the function, temperature and timing. Probably you can come out with your own set perfect temperature and timing for your food. Treat mine as a basic guide. 

For those who are getting a new flat with your other half or ready to move in to your new abode, probably you can consider kitchen appliances that are compact yet multifunctional. Save space in the kitchen if you are that sort who love minimalist. And do read up the above on the Pros and Cons of this airfryer from me and also more reviews online before making a decision to buy. 

Enjoy cooking and baking with Cuisinart! Cheers.