What a Dramatic Smoky Friday

I really find it so dramatic because such situation actually unfold in front of my eyes. Documenting this day for me to read again 10 years later.

20 Sept 2024

As usual, I was happily walking home from the train station because is FRIDAY! Lugging my shopping hauls and food I got during lunchtime. Happy thoughts only. Almost reaching my block, a police car drove past me and later I heard siren. Seconds later, a red rhino drove past me. What is going on dude?

Approaching my block, a little girl run past me towards my block direction. I didn't bother. Walking on the path to my block, a lady stopped in front of me to take photo or video, I thought got RAINBOW. When I looked up, is not rainbow. Is SMOKE!!! The direct from my block and the level like my home. I couldn't think proper and no time to think also that smoke and noise travel up. I took a photo and sent to my husband to tell him got FIRE AT OUR BLOCK! 我当下是原地吓死! I'm not kidding you.

Tell me from the photo above, if you see that the smoke is coming from the position of your home and your block, how would you feel? SCARE LAH! My husband reached home before me and looking at it, WHO ISN'T SCARE YOU TELL ME? Trembling hands as I took this on IGS. I can't imagine I can still do that. WTF! What was I even thinking?!

When I reached downstairs, I called my husband immediately with trembling hands instead of texting. That was around 6.40+pm when I made the call. This idiot nearly make my heart stop because he took a long time to answer (A*shole). He was already walking down the stairs to ground floor when I called. And residents already gathered below my block downstairs. I doubt I can go up so I stayed below. 

While waiting for him (sibei relieved), I went to see where the fire came from and it was from 4th floor. The unit is directly below mine (I'm 13th). I took a photo and sent my dad. Later I called back when he asked how is the situation, he said based on the dark smoke, probably something rubbery causes such dark smoke.


This is the kitchen and service yard side. The smoke travels all the way up to 13th floor. Soon the police cordoned off the area of our block. Fire fighting in progress. 2 fire trucks, 2-3 red rhinos, few police cars and ambulance were seen below the block. 


This is the living room side and the windows have succumbed to the impact of the fire. I think the police managed to get hold of the owner of this unit. It was a middle-aged Chinese couple. The lady looked kind of devastated. Of course lah, your home is destroyed within hours. We are not sure of the cause. Luckily no one at home. If not, there will be fatality. But the first thing that comes to mind is charging of PMD. Not judgy but cases of fire due to PMDs exist. No one can deny it. However, I shall not jump to conclusion because losing your home is devastating enough. Just shut up will do.

So we hang around downstairs from 6plus in the evening till almost 8 then we can go back home for the upper floors. Those up and below the affected unit stayed put. Luckily the lift is back in service. Don't need to climb the stairs. Our corridor can smell the smoke and opening our door, the smell simply sips in already. So we turn on the fan to circulate the air because inhaling too much is not good for health. 

So my husband told me his encounter. He reached home around 5+ and said nothing unusual when he walked towards our block and below the affected unit. Then after he put the laundry to wash, around 6pm. He as usual will take a nap at the living room when all sudden, he smell smoke. That's when I knew it happens around 6+pm because I will reach home around that time always. At first he thought it was our washing machine so he quickly get up and went to check. Nope our washing machine was fine. He looked out of the window to check and saw my neighbour at the opposite corridor telling him 'Downstairs FIRE! Faster go downstairs'. Then he turn off the machine, close all the windows and before that, he opened the living room windows to check and saw people taking photos/videos and people gesturing/shouting 'FASTER GO'. He knew some unit at our block is on fire. So he changed and walked down the stairs (of course). Curiousity kills a cat, he wanted to know which floor is on fire and wanted to help since got hosereel (he didn't know fire fighters are here already). But through the smoke, he saw reflective vest and knew the fire fighters are here already so went off. Can't say he is nosey but he just want to help since he knows how to use a hosereel. But he inhaled some of the smoke liao so when we came back home, just a little headache. Pop panadol to self-medicate.

Oh people, many situations are a lesson for us to learn. Always have a home insurance that covers everything and make sure you renew on time. This money cannot be saved and when needed, up the premiums.

Also regular maintenance of the electrical appliances like aircon or anything. Any faulty devices, please throw them all at once. I thank God I always tell him to off all electricity (except for fridge) before he heads out for work. The stove too. Make sure at the OFF position. Take a photo if needed to ease your mind from all uneasy thoughts. Please keep your house clean and no hoarding because it can end up be a fire hazard. Especially like us (a couple), when all out for work and no one at home, be more careful and alert. You don't want to come home to a burnt house. You cry no tears sia. Also update your contacts on HDB or Town Council in case they need to get in touch with you during emergency. Prevention is better than Cure.

Drama. Really a drama Friday! Hope all are safe. Bye!

THE AFTERMATH

We mop once when we got home but it still didn't get rid of the dust. So gonna do again till is totally done and over with. And that smoke smell still lingers the next day after the dramatic evening.